cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my monthly stake Ward Mission Leader meeting tonight. In previous meetings, WMLs have talked about how they have assigned someone to go on exchanges with the elders most nights of the week and if that brother cannot go, it is his responsibility to find someone who can go. IMO, this is going a little too far...and it wouldn't work in my ward, largly because it flat out does not support the mission, missionaries, etc.

I feel kind of silly when I get in these meetings and they ask me what things are working in my ward...and I just tell them that my ward is unique and we're slowly building support for the missionary efforts.

I've been in a year and cannot wait to be released.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
A couple of months ago, the new guy on the High Council was assigned to us, and asked when we held our Presidency meetings. We laughed and laughed. We did have one to make him feel better.
Hilarious.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #23
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

YM President

5 years running
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #24
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road

I am been the Gospel Doctrine Teacher for 3 years. I start my own class, call on who gives prayers, and always teach sick because I hate cold call begging for someone to teach in my place last minute. I was told when I got the calling to find my own subsitutes. Somehow each year a manual is placed in my hand with a schedule glued behind the front cover.

Honest questions:
Can someone please tell me what does the SS Pres. and his counselors do?
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

The uniformity on WML being one of the worst callings is interesting. I was WML during law school for 2 and a half years. It was a huge relief to be released, but why wasn't it very enjoyable?

(1) Plan, organize, and conduct the baptisms? That's not terrible. Kind of a pain to fill the fonts, but always an uplifiting experience (except when you're a half hour late on accident).

(2) I was also in charge of the 8-year old baptisms, which I didn't like very much. Talk about pressure.

(3) corralling over 16 ward missionaries (the bishop just kept throwing them at me) was unpleasant; hard to keep them all busy.

(4) early morning meetings and ward mission meeting every week;

(5) having every meeting with the bishop start with me b/c "the ward mission is the most important auxiliary in our ward"

(6) feeding the missionaries incessantly;

(7) being in charge of their meal calendars and splits;

(8) fellowshipping and stressing about those who quickly fell away;

etc.

So from this overview, I think it's an unpopular calling b/c (1) the time demand and (2) the pressure. As WML, you can (and probably should) always be doing more.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #26
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
The uniformity on WML being one of the worst callings is interesting. I was WML during law school for 2 and a half years. It was a huge relief to be released, but why wasn't it very enjoyable?

(1) Plan, organize, and conduct the baptisms? That's not terrible. Kind of a pain to fill the fonts, but always an uplifiting experience (except when you're a half hour late on accident).

(2) I was also in charge of the 8-year old baptisms, which I didn't like very much. Talk about pressure.

(3) corralling over 16 ward missionaries (the bishop just kept throwing them at me) was unpleasant; hard to keep them all busy.

(4) early morning meetings and ward mission meeting every week;

(5) having every meeting with the bishop start with me b/c "the ward mission is the most important auxiliary in our ward"

(6) feeding the missionaries incessantly;

(7) being in charge of their meal calendars and splits;

(8) fellowshipping and stressing about those who quickly fell away;

etc.

So from this overview, I think it's an unpopular calling b/c (1) the time demand and (2) the pressure. As WML, you can (and probably should) always be doing more.
And pretty much anything can fall under the WML job description. For example, the Festival of Lights at the Temple is gearing up here in DC and the stake decided that it should be the WML's job to find people from the ward to staff the various jobs. Luckily, our ward assignment was for one brother for one 4 hour parking shift...other WMLs had to find people to play Mary and Joseph at the Visitor's Center nativity scene. I guess I should be glad I didn't have to find people to staff that...but still...random assignments fall under the ward mission all the time.

I too have to organize 8 year old baptisms, but with the caveat that the family should have very little say about the program. It makes for fun exchanges with ward members on behalf of the bishop.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:
WML.

Best calling:
CTR 8 teacher.
I currently teach in senior primary and I am the 11 y/o scout leader. I enjoy teaching primary, but being a scout leader is a different story. I don't like camping, I don't like wearing the uniform, I don't like singing those silly songs, I don't like the advancement work, if all I had to do was meet with the boys once a week to play games/sports, I might enjoy it quite a bit.

The best calling I have had was being the assistant newsletter editor. My wife was the editor and did all the work. My duties were to make copies, staple, and pass out the newsletters on Sundays. Great gig.

The toughest calling has got be the WML and not too far behind is being the scoutmaster. When you find two men that are willing to accept and they like the callings, you keep them there until they move out of the ward.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #28
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
Honest questions:
Can someone please tell me what does the SS Pres. and his counselors do?
They don't do much of anything. That's what makes it a great calling.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #29
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 2nd Counselor in the EQ. Not too bad. Conduct the meeting every 3 months, teach the lesson once a quarter, and bug people about their Home Teaching.

I'm also trying to put together an EQ fitness group. We've got a lot of fat asses in there.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #30
Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout is on a distinguished road

Currently SS president. I have meetings about once a quarter with the stake SS presidency where they try to convince me that there are all kinds of things I can and should be doing.

I was ward clerk for about 4 years and mostly liked it other that the early Sunday meetings. We had a great finance clerks so I rarely did any money stuff. The membership clerk, however, was completely useless so I did all the membership stuff.

I was also GD teacher for about six months before moving out of my ward. Other than that - counselor in several EQ presidencies, taught several youth SS classes (but never primary). I don't seem destined for high and holy church callings.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote