cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I want to see this holy war thing someday. Looks like this year's game should be pretty sweet with so much on the line.
I have been more vocal than almost anyone here about how lame the game day atmosphere is at MWC games.

BYU/Utah games are an amazing energy. very tense stuff.

And for whatever reason, over the past 15 years, most of them are down to the wire nail biters. Always some amazing finish.

The unfortunate thing is that their game is always lost in the shuffle of the other traditional rivalry games. This year hopefully the game will get some love, as both teams will be playing for very high stakes.

This may not be Red River Shootout (sorry, im a traditionalist), but it certainly is one of the better rivalries in the country.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #22
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the kind of loss that will barely drop a team in the polls. Don't be surprised to see TCU go to 14 and BYU stay at 15.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #23
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Utah is lucky that he Kaneshiro'd two field goals; while TCU is lucky that Sean Smith dropped a pick in the end zone. It all evens out.
Not to mention Dalton's two overthrows on sure thing touchdowns. But hey, Utah could only deal with what happened, not what could have happened, and they capitalized. Incredible win.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #24
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is the kind of loss that will barely drop a team in the polls. Don't be surprised to see TCU go to 14 and BYU stay at 15.
The suckiest thing about all of this for TCU is that they will go 10-2 with losses to Utah and Oklahoma and likely play in the Poinsettia bowl.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
She might even argue that Texas and Oklahoma each have two teams in the top ten.
I didnt mean to imply that Utah was unique. My point was just that......look who Utah stacks up against right now...Texas and Oklahoma (and how often are the cowboys ranked this high?). That is nice company.

California has 5 programs that compete for national rankings and as a state, not doing nearly as well as Utah right now....Oregon, Alabama, Washington, Arizona, Florida......the Beehive State is representing right now.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #26
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I kinda doubt it. That would be the case if these teams were, say, in the SEC. As is, TCU is a 2-loss MWC team and will drop quite a bit.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #27
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I didnt mean to imply that Utah was unique. My point was just that......look who Utah stacks up against right now...Texas and Oklahoma (and how often are the cowboys ranked this high?). That is nice company.

California has 5 programs that compete for national rankings and as a state, not doing nearly as well as Utah right now....Oregon, Alabama, Washington, Arizona, Florida......the Beehive State is representing right now.
Yeah, I knew what you meant, and I agree. I just thought the rhetorical question you chose undermined your point.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I think the media WILL perceive TCU as having choked a bit....missed FGs, especially multiple, do not bode well.

Not saying I agree, but overall, the box score of this game is kinda ugly. Points impress pollsters more than defense. Look at SC.....less than 30 points given up in their last 5 or so games total. and they drop in the polls.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Congrats, Ute fans. That was a great win.

My boy got a little over-excited there at the end. I told it was OK to be happy, but he needed to tone it down a bit. They are still Utes after all. Crazy kid.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #30
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I had two friends call me immediately following the game, first one is a huge ute fan and was at the game:

"This is the closest feeling I will ever have to knowing what you have felt like the last two years, I might not leave the stadium tonight, I am soaking it all in."

Second one did not watch the game,

"How the hell did Utah win this game, they gave up 450 total yards and only had 275, that is unbelievable."

Regarding the second one I did not realize how lopsided the boxscore was, obviously the only thing that matters is the scoreboard. Utahs problem in that game on D was that they gave up to many big plays. TCUs problem on O was that they never figured out that on 3rd down UTah was bringing the house.

On the flip side Utahs O I felt like was hurting themselves and that it wasnt TCUs D that was stopping them. Hensel did an outstanding job on Hughes. I still think that BJ is not very good but he has proven to be clutch which may be more important. Seriously the guy is nails. I just hope you floats a few of those deep balls against BYU, not because I think they will get picked but if Utah receivers have to come back to balls we may be able to make a tackle before they get in the endzone.