cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He was also executed. I bet they knew that.
Probably. Their defense was that "no one is perfect".
I spared them the long list of charges leading to that incident. But you know all that.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Probably. Their defense was that "no one is perfect".
I spared them the long list of charges leading to that incident. But you know all that.
Just goes to show that they're more cerebral than you are. Any reasonable, thinking person can see both virtue and vice in Mormonism and its history. You're obviously fixated on gotcha Mormon-slamming trivia, and I'm pretty sure that everyone on this site (except Asshaf) finds it tiresome.

Can't you see that Christianity itself and its "perfect" Bible are full of the very same trivial tidbits? The only difference is that the original Christianity is 1800 years older than Mormonism, which gives more time for tall tales to grow taller and controversies to be suppressed.

There is no such thing as a religion without controversy and people who make bad mistakes. Why you get off on ripping Joseph Smith to missionaries is beyond me, but the missionaries' response was stellar.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 03-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
There is no such thing as a religion without controversy and people who make bad mistakes. Why you get off on ripping Joseph Smith to missionaries is beyond me, but the missionaries' response was stellar.
It was stellar; quite advanced for being so young, really.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #14
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

On an unrelated note, two civil rights advocates approached me outside a stadium with a petition a few months ago. I immediately informed them that MLK Jr. was an adulterer. They had NO idea about this, having been brought up in ignorance. I also told them that basically everything they stood for was based on the work of a COMPLETELY bad person (adulterer), and I suggested that they go home and stop spreading the gospel of an adulterous reverend. I was kind enough to spare them the details.

I can't believe how stupid some people are...to believe in that man's teachings. At a minimum, no one could possibly claim that God inspired him or his work, seeing as how he did such awful things.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
On an unrelated note, two civil rights advocates approached me outside a stadium with a petition a few months ago. I immediately informed them that MLK Jr. was an adulterer. They had NO idea about this, having been brought up in ignorance. I also told them that basically everything they stood for was based on the work of a COMPLETELY bad person (adulterer), and I suggested that they go home and stop spreading the gospel of an adulterous reverend. I was kind enough to spare them the details.

I can't believe how stupid some people are...to believe in that man's teachings. At a minimum, no one could possibly claim that God inspired him or his work, seeing as how he did such awful things.
I'll be chuckling about this for a while. Well done.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote