cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2024, 03:37 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dallin Hall — so goes the team

Dallin Hall seems to be the most important player on the team. Not the best player on the team. The most important. As he goes, the team goes.

1. Can he keep the other point guard out of the paint, and prevent that player from breaking down the defense?

2. Can he handle the on the ball pressure and control the offense?

3. Can he bring the ball up the court against pressure and against the press?

4. Is he able to play freely and distribute the ball well in the half court?

5. Can he drive to the bucket a couple times a game and score, and maybe hit 1 or 2 wide open 3 pointers or long jump shots?

An important key for Hall playing well is the Egyptian player, Khalifa. When Khalifa is at the point, Hall can dump the ball off to him at the high post and rest. He doesn’t have to control the ball most of the time and be the main distributor. It takes a ton of energy to be a ball dominant point guard and it’s huge that Khalifa can allow Hall to rest, esp. since Pope has decided that the team doesn’t have a backup point guard. With Stewart frozen out of playing time, Pope is playing Robinson at the backup point, which is a curious choice because Robinson is a really mediocre passer and makes a fair number of bad passing decisions every game. Playing with fire having Robinson at the one. Man, Stewart is so far in the dog house that I would not be suprised to see him transfer. And for that matter I don’t think Pope would mind if he did. This is a vote of zero confidence from Pope.

Why am I posting here and not on CB? Because no one on CB knows anything about basketball. Biggest collection of basketball dummies I have ever been around.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:06 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We are seeing this play out now again and again.

BYU lost to Tech on the road, because Tech guards dominated in the 2nd half. Particularly using the pick and roll at the top of the key.

And then Houston guards dominated as well in the win last night.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:47 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

And why am I here? Because I was given a 3 day suspension for asking if we might Khalifa to be in better shape next year. LOLz. This is what it must be like to live in China or Hungary.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:29 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In the portal now, but I doubt he’s going to Kentucky. So that means I think there is a good chance he stays at BYU.