cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default Precious Metals

A question for the financial guys (or gals) on the board. I was told I should have between five and ten percent of my assets in gold or other precious metals (but preferably gold). Is this sound advice? Ten percent seems like a lot. If it is good advice, what is the best way to accomplish this? Is it better to buy bullion or invest in gold stocks?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
A question for the financial guys (or gals) on the board. I was told I should have between five and ten percent of my assets in gold or other precious metals (but preferably gold). Is this sound advice? Ten percent seems like a lot. If it is good advice, what is the best way to accomplish this? Is it better to buy bullion or invest in gold stocks?
I think most people would tell you you don't need it. Some would say you do and to the tune of 5% or so. But unless you have a lot of money, the transaction costs will eat you up, so it's probably not something to consider unless you have over $1M. I'd go with a commodity index. Just gold even only at 5% is too much unneccesary risk.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That is a pretty standard line for someone who thinks every portfolio should have a hedge against inflation or something really dire happening.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

on a side note, i read today that Jerry Jones, bought up futures in the scrap metal industry, before he started construction on the Cowboys new stadium so that it would be worth more.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
on a side note, i read today that Jerry Jones, bought up futures in the scrap metal industry, before he started construction on the Cowboys new stadium so that it would be worth more.
I don't know the specifics of this, but more likely he manipulated a scrap metal futures transaction to lock in a price, or hedge against future fluctuations. This was the reason the futures market was created--to help lower risk for farmers.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No way. Metals are notoriously volatile, and I'd never mess around with them. I leave that to the professional mining/hedging types. You can lose your shirt (although you can print money too). I'm just not smart enough.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
BlueHair

Thanks guys. I've decided against the five or ten percent, but decided to buy 100 ounces of silver just for fun. Silver is super volatile so it will be fun to watch it go up and down. I'm buying it in the form of 1 ounce rounds. Here is a photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silverfront.jpg (12.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
BlueHair

I'm wishing I would have bought more. Silver is up almost 8 dollars per ounce since I bought it. The dollar is in serious trouble.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My bro in law was just barely in my office saying that the silver he bought 4 months ago is now worth $1500 more.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
My bro in law was just barely in my office saying that the silver he bought 4 months ago is now worth $1500 more.
Hmmmm....

The china my wife (and her mom and grandma) picked out for our wedding has either silver or gold in it. I'm not sure, as I rarely look at it. We never use it; it just sits in the hutch for other people (meaning my wife's visiting teachers) to admire.

Perhaps I should break all of the dishes to collect and melt it into one small blob?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote