cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I am now on the anti-Nike bandwagon. After months of nagging little injuries wearing Nike Shox, I switched to the Brooks Trance. Amazing what a difference it makes.
I look at the shox and wonder how anyone can run in those. They look like anything but "shox" absorbant and they also look like high hills.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
I look at the shox and wonder how anyone can run in those. They look like anything but "shox" absorbant and they also look like high hills.
The high heels look is an illusion. The forefoot is at the same level as the top of the shox.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The high heels look is an illusion. The forefoot is at the same level as the top of the shox.
The key is adequate cushion for the mid-sole. Too much cushion for heel means sometimes too little for front and vice versa.

Nike cares about everybody but runners, which is where they originally made their impact, so Nike's abandonment of the runner is a slap in the face.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #14
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting the Brooks Trace. They are really comfortable. Out of the 3 shoes I tried on the Brooks, Asics and Nike's. The Nike's were the worst.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting the Brooks Trace. They are really comfortable. Out of the 3 shoes I tried on the Brooks, Asics and Nike's. The Nike's were the worst.
You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.
Did you feel that way when you were trying to mooch free shoes from them?

"Plus, during my application for a free shoe tester for life, they turned me down."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11314
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Did you feel that way when you were trying to mooch free shoes from them?

"Plus, during my application for a free shoe tester for life, they turned me down."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11314
I should have put down, tic, for the humor impaired.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #18
SteelBlue

Runnercoug, at what price range do the Nikes become good shoes? Until a week ago, I've always run in Nikes but I've always been in the 50-70 dollar range. With this pair of Brooks I got they were $135 shoes but goose got me a nice discount. I'm guessing at that price range Nike makes a comparable shoe?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #19
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I should have put down, tic, for the humor impaired.
OK, sorry. I guess I've just never seen you write anything funny, so I didn't know you were being sarcastic. My bad.

FWIW, I don't really have any desire to defend Nike or their shoes. My gripe is with people who are asked for advice about running and the first thing out of their mouth is how "evil" Nike is. You are aware that Dan Browne ran a 2:11 Twin Cities Marathon wearing Nikes? That Dathan Ritzenhein will be running in the 08 Olympic Marathon wearing Nikes? That Meb Keflezighi runs every marathon he races wearing Nikes? I guess I'm failing to see how Nike has abandoned runners.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #20
Runner Coug

Quote:
Runnercoug, at what price range do the Nikes become good shoes? Until a week ago, I've always run in Nikes but I've always been in the 50-70 dollar range. With this pair of Brooks I got they were $135 shoes but goose got me a nice discount. I'm guessing at that price range Nike makes a comparable shoe?
I've run in $90 Air Structure Triax for two years now.

But don't misunderstand my point. It's beyond stupid to argue about running shoes, for crying out loud. My point is just this: when someone who is new to running asks for advice from an experienced runner, and all they can say is "don't buy Nike", they've done a big disservice to the person asking for help.

I've run is Asics, and they blistered the holy hell out of my feet. I've got a scar on my right foot the size of a quarter that I got while wearing Asics.

I've run in Saucony's, and to me, they felt like I was running with bricks strapped to my feet.

I've run in Mizuno's, and they were great, except I lost four toenails in one race.

I've run in Brooks, and liked them alot. I just thought they were ugly.

I switched to Nike, after listening to all the "experienced" runners tell me how bad Nikes are for three years. No more blisters, no more black toenails, and they felt lighter to me. If I hadn't listened to people who were giving me nothing but their personal bias, I could have avoided problems in the first place.

I'm not trying to defend Nike. I would say this about any shoe. If you are asked by someone new to running what the best shoe is, the only response you should give is to send them to a running store and get them fitted for the best shoe for their foot. For some it's Asics, some it's Nike, etc, etc. But don't put into a newbie's mind that Nike shoes (or any respectable shoes) are bad, just because you don't like them. Advise them to go to a running store, explore ALL the brands, and find the best one for them. To do anything else is just hurting someone who came to you for advice.