cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I think I posted a while back that a friend of mine qualified for Boston using the FIRST method, and running only on a treadmill. It has worked well for a lot of people.
That's interesting, I'm trying the FIRST method too this time, and I will probably do most of the running on the treadmill. The intervals are a bit of a pain to do on a treadmill.

The book mentioned doing rowing as one of the cross-training workouts. I think I will try alternating that with the cycling, and kickboxing.

My problem is that I got psyched to get started with the program, and I find out that the only half marathons for the rest of the year are on Sundays. The next long distance event on a Saturday is a marathon in February. So, I guess I will try doing a 15k in September, and maybe go for the marathon in February. Any ideas of what kind of workout to do in the meantime? The marathon schedule is 16 weeks long, and the actual race is 28 weeks away.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
That's interesting, I'm trying the FIRST method too this time, and I will probably do most of the running on the treadmill. The intervals are a bit of a pain to do on a treadmill.

The book mentioned doing rowing as one of the cross-training workouts. I think I will try alternating that with the cycling, and kickboxing.

My problem is that I got psyched to get started with the program, and I find out that the only half marathons for the rest of the year are on Sundays. The next long distance event on a Saturday is a marathon in February. So, I guess I will try doing a 15k in September, and maybe go for the marathon in February. Any ideas of what kind of workout to do in the meantime? The marathon schedule is 16 weeks long, and the actual race is 28 weeks away.
what percent of the fitness addicts here workout on Sundays? It's not a trivial percentage.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #13
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So, I guess I will try doing a 15k in September, and maybe go for the marathon in February. Any ideas of what kind of workout to do in the meantime? The marathon schedule is 16 weeks long, and the actual race is 28 weeks away.
My recommendation to fill the 12 weeks before starting full training would be to follow a half marathon training plan. You may not end it with a race, but it'll give you an outline, and the long runs at the end of the half plan roughly correspond to the long runs at the start of the full plan. You'll be ready to dive right in. If you only want to run three days a week, just drop 1 or 2 of the workouts and do something else.

Hal Higdon's got a good half plan that's exactly 12 weeks. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm
For the last six weeks of it, I'd probably drop 3-4 miles from each of the weekend long runs, so you're not burned out when it's time to start the full plan. Maybe even drop a mile or two from the shorter runs, as well.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what percent of the fitness addicts here workout on Sundays? It's not a trivial percentage.
I don't workout on Sunday, but I don't see anything wrong with it. My friend says that she treasures her Sunday runs because it's her chance to contemplate life. I would agree that I do some of my best thinking on runs. Running on Sunday also probably keeps you out of some of the crappy callings.

I definitely wouldn't not do a race just because it's on a Sunday. That's just how it happens (outside of utah). I have a several fairly mullah-ish friends who have done races on Sunday.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Do the 5K or 10K program that FIRST recommends, both of which are around 12 weeks. They actually recommend that for a year-round schedule you should just cycle through the four race lengths, as each has a different emphasis.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote