cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does this affect the team?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5627453

College kids do dumb things, so I, in no way, am going to condemn them. I did my share of things when I was that age.

I'm just more curious as to what kind of effect this will have on Saturday and in the long run if it turns out to be a reason to send them on their way.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My guess is they'll be held out of the rest of Spring football like what has been said so far, and then maybe a 1 game suspension during the season, but I really don't know.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

College kids do dumb things, so I, in no way, am going to condemn them. I did my share of things when I was that age.

I'm just more curious as to what kind of effect this will have on Saturday and in the long run if it turns out to be a reason to send them on their way.
I'm relieved to hear that that's the extent of it. Doesn't sound like this will have any effect whatsoever.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm relieved to hear that that's the extent of it. Doesn't sound like this will have any effect whatsoever.
Yep, it could have been a lot uglier.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Felony Burglary is pretty serious, you dont think its a big deal?

I think the police overreacted though if you are going to charge them with this. Maybe trespassing or vandalism for the doors, but honestly felony burglary.

They should charge the balloon throwers with Felony assault with a weapon.

Vic and Terrence need to think of the consequences and just walk away,honestly grow up a little.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I posted on utefans that while I'm not defending the actions of the players, if you're going to throw water balloons and run your mouth, you best be prepared to accept the consequences.

Agreed that felony burglary is a stretch here. This was more a case of football players with a bit too much testosterone trying to intimidate a couple of twerps who don't have the guts to be men.

If you're going to throw water balloons, do it point blank.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I posted on utefans that while I'm not defending the actions of the players, if you're going to throw water balloons and run your mouth, you best be prepared to accept the consequences.

Agreed that felony burglary is a stretch here. This was more a case of football players with a bit too much testosterone trying to intimidate a couple of twerps who don't have the guts to be men.

If you're going to throw water balloons, do it point blank.
I agree with this, but why go around kicking in apartment doors? That is where they let their testosterone get the best of them.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Who here doesn't think those felony burglary charges will get plead down to some kind of misdemeanor before this is all said and done?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I was involved in almost an identical situation where I was with a friend who played football for BYU kicked in the dorm room door after a verbal altercation and we were challenged to come up and do something about it. My friend actually did assault the kid I guess with one of the best bitch slaps I have ever seen. Cops were called. We waited in the Morris Center for them to arrive. The kid didn't want to press charges so the matter was dropped but then went to the Honor Code but I think Lavell was able to amed that also.

I can't believe that the water ballooners were in their closet hiding. I would have beat their asses too. There are so many punks at BYU. I hated that so many kids there would act like bad asses when if they pulled half the stuff they did where I grew up they would have been beaten down or worse.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Just another fine example of cops being a-holes,

Quote:

football players being roid raged idiots, and pimply dorks stepping over the line without regard to consequences.

I can just see the nerds sitting up on the third floor taunting the jocks thinking they are untouchable. Making those dorks crap their pants brings a smile to my face.

That said, it was extremely poor judgement by Hooks and So'oto to get drawn into this. Of course I'd probably have done the same thing at 19, but now that I'm older and wiser, I'm going to stand out against it.

One burning question remains, which one was Starsky?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote