cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Marquette

Matt Carlino vs. Marquette
32 minutes
2/10 field goals
4 assists
5 turnovers
7 points

Matt Carlino vs. Iona
20 minutes
2/7 field goals
2 assists
5 turnovers
6 points

These stat lines look better than I expected. To my eye, it seemed worse.

For the season, Carlino averages 4.6 assists and 3.0 turnovers in 28 minutes. He shot 40% from the field and averaged 12 points.

I guess you know what I am getting at. Why did Rose give so many minutes to Carlino, who was very clearly outclassed. Cusick had 8 assists vs. 1 turnover against Iona, and 2 assists vs. 1 turnover against Marquette plus 12 points. However Cusick did get mad minutes against Marquette. Curiously Rose had Cusick and Carlino on the floor at the same time.

It's time to rethink Carlino as the point guard. He is not a point guard. At best he is a combo guard, and I think he might actually do better as a shooting guard. Except for the fact that he is so small and slow and weak. He's going to have to have Jimmer-type dedication to improve his body, because he looks like a kid out there.

Hartsock probably wishes he would have done a little bit better. But I love his heart, I can't say a bad thing about the guy. Davies had another very solid game.

Abouo frustrated me. He made that big leap between his sophomore and junior years, but he never really progressed beyond that. Especially his basketball IQ. Little bit disappointed with his career. But the kid saw more wins at BYU than any other play in history. That's nothing to sneeze at, and he was a part of that, no doubt about it.

Looking to next year. I hope Zylstra develops. Especially, we need him to be a better shooter. He's not consistent enough yet. And a better defender. I don't think Davies leaves college ball for the pros after this season. I think right now he is Europe material. Potential to be a 9th guy on a NBA squad? Maybe. Stranger things have happened. But I think I wait another year if I am him. Cusick just needs to get better, he's coming along. He may not have much more upside than what we see now. Sharp needs to stop sucking. That's a low bar. I actually liked a lot of what Winder did this season. Call me crazy, but I would rather have he and Cusick at the point than Carlino. Needs a better three-point shot. Nate Austin was huge, and we're going to need him in a big way next season. With another off-season under his belt, he could be a huge contributor next year. The new Hartsock in a way. Harrison was a big disappointment to me this year. I did not know this kid was so raw. Everything about his game is raw and unpolished. His shot is often terrible. His decision making is suspect. He needs to make HUGE leap. I hope he does it. Rogers needs to be baller on this team. Even before the injury, I thought he had not come along to what I wanted/expected. This team needs a scorer, a shooter. And he's the guy. He needs to be a weapon. Honestly I don't ever expect Chris Collinsworth to make a contribution. I think he's just one of those guys whose body won't allow him to play.

Tyler Haws comes back next year. Assuming he's in decent shape, he will be a starter.

I've not followed recruiting at all. I see that we signed a kid named Cory Calvert, who was very lightly recruited. Looks like we needed a new Nick Martineau so we picked him up. I don't take it as a good sign that I can't find any youtube highlights on him. I hope I eat these words. But I doubt I will.

Jordan Chatman. I really enjoyed watching his dad. He has youtube highlights, thank God. He's going on a mission to Taiwan so we won't be seeing him for a long time. Highlights seem to show that he is very smooth with the ball in his hands, that's a good sign.

The huge question mark going into next season: will we get better at the 1 and 2 positions? Right now, I don't see any huge improvements coming. And that's going to prevent us from getting to the next level.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote