cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gonzaga vs. BYU at the Marriott

Another frustrating game.

I'm not sure why Cusick was allowed to play as much as he did. I figured Rose thought he ought to get his seniors a lot of time on the floor. He seemed to care more about that than actually winning.

Three consecutive plays stand out in my mind at the end of the game. Davies gets the ball in the post, loses his balance and passes it to Cusick on the wing. Davies actually falls as he passes and Cusick's man is on the ground as a result. Cusick has a WIDE-OPEN look. He lines it up and chucks it three feet short. Air ball. Would have put BYU up by 2. Most important shot of his career and hoists an air ball at home.

Then Nate Austin wildly fouls the rebounder. Ugh. Send Gonzaga to the line on a one-and-one. Gonzaga misses the front end, and rebound comes off to Austin, who fumbles it and balls goes to Gonzaga.

I'm beginning to really hate Nate Austin. Holy shiz, he sucks bad.

And then at the end of game, Cusick is fouled BYU down three. And he bricks the front end of a one-and-one, and game is over.

Cusick must own compromising pictures of Dave Rose, because no one can understand how he gets so much playing time. He's a shooting guard who can't defend or shoot. Part-time point guard who can't do anything either. He's a rec ball player who strangely found himself in a premier role for BYU. One of the reasons this team sucks.

Davies was his usual self. Making some really stupid mistakes, but also making some good plays.

Zylstra had a solid game, hit a couple of important 3s at the end. I kept wondering why he didn't shoot more. There he is on the 3 point line with Olynyk guarding him. While Brock may not have been as talented as we would have liked, the kid played hard and did everything that was asked. He had some moxy and made some plays. I'm glad he had as good a game as he did. Asked to do the impossible, play the 4 against Gonzaga.

I don't know that Davies quite had the career I would have hoped for him. Maybe if he had a stronger cast around him this year, it would have been different. But teams could always key against him. He never did seem to become immune to the bone-head play. I think his ceiling is D-league or 12th man on an NBA roster (if he is lucky) that never sees the floor. Euro most likely.

Another big huge disappointment this year is Carlino. Didn't like his development this year. Turnovers galore. Bad shots. Low percentage. Only very brief flashes.

Here's to a new cast next year that can really shake up the team.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote