cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gonzaga game, halftime

Obviously this is a terrible performance so far.

I'm really scratching my head about a number of things. But let's be fair. Gonzaga has a great resume. BYU has nothing. It's a road game for BYU. A smart man would expect a blowout win for Gonzaga. But still...

1. Does Carlino actually look he has been coached? By anybody? I get very frustrated by his decision making. His selfishness. And his brick laying. He is one of the few guys on the team that can actually get a shot off with the ball in his hands, but it's usually a clanger. And it doesn't help team chemistry.

2. Is there a single player for BYU that would start for Gonzaga? I'm not sure there is. The lone candidate would be Haws. And Haws is being absolutely dominated so far.

3. Nate Austin. is. a. pussy. Ok, ok, that's not fair. He was born soft, he is soft, and he will always be soft. It's just what he is. His only offensive game is a fade away 16 footer. He has no foot speed. He's not a good defender. He has no spring. He's just not very good.

4. Same thing with Josh Sharp. Bony skinny kid that gets pushed around, but that's who he is. He tries hard, but it hopeless outmatched against better teams. On a good team, he would not be starting. Him trying to block out Gonzaga's 7 foot beast is comical.

5. Do we miss Noah Hartsock or what? On both ends of the court. Great offensive game, and was actually a GREAT underrated defender and shot blocker.

6. Which takes me to Davies. Here again we are seeing that against better competition Davies is hapless. Can't get a good shot off. Can't pass well out of double teams. And frankly he is at best an average defender. Think of all the shots he has blocked when other teams have challenged in the lane. Yup, your're right. THere's a reason you can't think of any. He can't do that. All of that kind of defending was Hartsock.

7. Which brings me to Abuou. We miss his defense. The combination of him and Hartsock was light years better defense than what BYU has this season.

8. I'm really not impressed with Coach Rose this season. I don't get many of his decisions. His rotations. For example, when I see BYU really struggling on defense, I wonder why Zylstra isn't on the floor more. As well as Winder. I don't get why Rose didn't do more to get Winder into the flow earlier in the season. What good does it do to give lots of minutes to that Freshman from Colorado, and when it comes to the conference season you don't play him at all? The number one problem with this team is poor defense. Lack of athleticism has a lot to do with that. If you watch BYU play against the better teams, the other team is getting great looks, and BYU is always getting super tough looks.

Hmmm....hope the team can bounce back in the second half. Would be hard to do worse.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Davies has problems whenever he encounters a decent-or-above opposing big man. He's only 6'9" which is not that that big for someone who is routinely asked to play center on a D1 basketball team. Good luck asking him to cover Olynyk(7-0) or Harris.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Harris and the white long-hair wonder absolutely dominated the game. BYU had no answer for those two guys. I have not thought Davies would be NBA material. And tonight was a good example. He just doesn't have the size and athleticism for the next level.

BYU shot better, had better offense in the 2nd half. But the thing was they couldn't play better defense. Couldn't make runs because they couldn't get stops.

Haws was dominated. The color guy was right--Few had Haws thoroughly scouted and they were prepared for his tendencies. All over that turn around shot. Hope Rose can teach Haws a few things. That's what good coaches do.

With Davies leaving at the end of this year, one really has to wonder what the front-line is going to be like next year. You got the big kid at Lone Peak coming. Not sure who else. It may not be pretty at all, even in BYU has overall improved talent. Signing two JC guys who give you absolutely nothing is an indictment of Rose's recruiting. You think Few would have even sniffed those two guys? It's depressing.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Looking at the box score.

Harris and Olynyk combined to score 51 points, shooting 17-20 FG. With 19 rebounds. 3 blocks, 6 assists.

On the other hand BYU's starting front line of Davies and Sharp scored a combined 28 points (I believe Sharp's 14 points was a career high) on 10-19 shooting (the good part of that percentage is from Sharp's 5-6). Only 7 rebounds and no blocks. No assists.

Carlino was 4-11 shooting, but only 1-7 from the 3. I think all of his field goals were around the rim. 4 assists and 4 turnovers.

Pangos actually had only 2 assists and 4 turnovers. But I think he actually had a very solid game. He was a steadying hand on the floor, hit some key 3's. Always under control. I had the sense that he could have been much more aggressive but was in a more facilitating mode. Impressed with Pangos.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Harris and the white long-hair wonder absolutely dominated the game. BYU had no answer for those two guys. I have not thought Davies would be NBA material. And tonight was a good example. He just doesn't have the size and athleticism for the next level.

BYU shot better, had better offense in the 2nd half. But the thing was they couldn't play better defense. Couldn't make runs because they couldn't get stops.

Haws was dominated. The color guy was right--Few had Haws thoroughly scouted and they were prepared for his tendencies. All over that turn around shot. Hope Rose can teach Haws a few things. That's what good coaches do.

With Davies leaving at the end of this year, one really has to wonder what the front-line is going to be like next year. You got the big kid at Lone Peak coming. Not sure who else. It may not be pretty at all, even in BYU has overall improved talent. Signing two JC guys who give you absolutely nothing is an indictment of Rose's recruiting. You think Few would have even sniffed those two guys? It's depressing.
Rose does not recruit well for the gaps created by missions. He coaches relatively well, but his mission gap recruiting is deficient.

I've stopped watching this team. It would be a proud moment for me if BYU turns down an NIT bid. This team is not good and not worth watching.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

quite simply there is a lack of talent/development on the team, which the coaching has not been able to overcome, in terms of winning games against good teams.

You can't point to a single game where you could say "The other team had better players, but superior coaching led to a BYU win." I know this season must be frustrating to Rose and staff. You can see the physical pain on the faces of the assistants.