cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs. Georgia State

BYU roared out to a 31-3 lead, then fizzled as they turned the ball over and couldn't handle the Georgia State Press. Georgia State came back within 11, and then the Cougars put the game out of reach.

1. No doubt, Davies is the best guy on the team. The chasm between him and the rest of the team is huge.
2. Carlino is looking to be more of a facilitator this season, compared to last. Jacked up a lot of shots last year, and he's passing on those low-percentage jack-ups this year. I think that is a good sign.
3. Haws looks to be same player as he was his freshman year. Good wing shooter. But has not shown me he can put the ball on the floor, has not shown me he can create his own shot. He may be the second best player on the floor, but he's not a playmaker on his own accord. And that worries me.
4. Disturbing that Sharp is starting. He's not very good. He got a lot of rebounds against Georgia State, but that's about all he is good for. Lanky, uncoordinated, no offensive game.
5. Nate Austin coming off the bench to give some offensive spark from the post. But really this is a kid who is most comfortable facing the basket and getting his shots up that way. Same as last season.
6. Zylstra is still the same overrated rec player he was last year.
7. Ambrosino jacked up a couple of threes and missed badly. He didn't show me anything.
8. Delgado didn't show me anything.
9. Calvert did not seem to be anything remarkable.
10. Cusick disappointed in a couple of turnovers. I expect more from a senior like him.

The take home message is that this is not a very athletic team. They have struggled when facing superior speed and athleticism. In the case of Georgia State, they had no one who could match up with Davies, and that doomed them. But for teams that can match up on Davies, it's going to cause problems. Because then you wonder where the offense is going to come from. In the break, BYU will be okay, but in half-court sets, not so sure. Hoping Anson Winder can come in and be a dynamic player. This team really needs it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote