cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Win over Iona

Exactly what I warned about happened against Iona. A gunning out-of-control no-defense Carlino leads BYU to disaster. Like many of you I was furious and upset about BYU's play. But you have to credit Rose--he parked Carlino's ass on the bench, and that allowed BYU to come back (among other things).

Archaea, remember how you bagged on Cusick? He was instrumental in getting the team on track. His handles allowed him to bring up the ball against pressure, and he added stability and heady play at the point guard position. I was extremely angry when he bricked that 1-and-1 near the end of the first half. How does a point guard throw up a foul shot that is right and hits the backboard first? I guess no one is perfect.

And the shocker of the game. DeMarcus Harrison. Who would have thought he would make a major contribution? The guy with the outside shot that looks like a medieval catapult? He came in, played good defense, and shot the ball well with confidence. Rose did a good job pulling him from the game at the right time, because it was looking like he was starting to swell beyond his abilities. Must be a huge confidence builder for the kid who has really struggled and disappointed this season. If he works hard on his shooting and free throws, he may make a contribution.

Of course you have to tip your hat to Noah Hartsock. He played with so much determination and skill. Again showing his underrated defense and shot blocking ability. Incredible efficiency. We are going to miss him big time.

And Brandon Davies had a great game as well, picking up the team when it was really struggling.

As great as it was to win, we need to look at the root causes of the first half debacle. Obviously turnovers and inability to take care of the ball, particularly with Carlino. But also the bigs at time were not going fast enough on their moves, and allowing double and triple teams to swallow up the ball. The defense was just awful. Guys just absolutely not being able to stay in front of the guy with the ball. Abuou's on-ball defense was embarrassing (as was Carlino's). Rotations were also very poor. Transition defense was awful. In the second half they did a much better job with rotation on the zone, and not giving up wide-open looks.

Let's not forget the great contribution from Anson Winder either. Hitting a couple of big shots, steadying the team. And Nate Austin with his big motor and hustle. Surprised he didn't get more minutes in the 2nd half. I noticed that Stephen Rogers wasn't suited up. I'm not sure if that is because of a new injury or reinjury, or that they have finally given up for the season based on the old injury. It's a shame he did not develop this season, because we desperately need an outside shooter.

I have to credit Dave Rice for taking control of this team by putting Carlino on the bench. I hope Carlino can finally calm down and play smart. Otherwise, he needs to sit the pine even more.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote