cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Thinking Christ's church should apologize for their non-Christlike actions is somehow analogous to some random guy thinking a church missionary should buy him a chicken. That's classic.
At the risk of leaving the impression I care more about this issue than I do ... I don't consider the church's actions to be un-Christlike, just like it's not un-Christlike to not buy every street bum a chicken.

Certainly it's a better analogy than Richard Nixon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
BTW, why buy him fruit but not a chicken?
Cost.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Guys, I don't think the church apologized. I read the article, as well as one on the LDS website. I don't see Elder Eyring expressing anything but regret.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
EDIT: At the very least, this should put to rest the canard that I'm a robotic minion of the LDS collective.

You appear to be even worse than that. You go the extra mile even beyond the church when it comes to being cold, harsh, and judgemental.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #34
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You appear to be even worse than that. You go the extra mile even beyond the church when it comes to being cold, harsh, and judgemental.
Don't leave out that I'm a murderer-in-embryo too. Gotta keep that in the list.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Is there a good reason not to? What are we accomplishing by controlling the property? Besides offending the descendants? Remember that their ancestors are buried on the site. It seems to me that we would gain more from releasing it than we are accomplishing by owning it.
Offending descendants by controlling property?

At some point, you don't bow to pressure. My concern is to create an area where abnormal criticisms might be staged. Yes, MMM was an egregious mistake, but I don't trust the federal government at all.

I've not seen a property controlled by the Church which has been operated poorly. In some ways, the Church continuing responsibility for it, shows it acknowledges its continuing blame. Giving it to the federal government basically says the Church is now just pushing it away.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, obviously I'm the one disagreeing with the church's PR in this instance. And it's not the first time for me, surprise, surprise.

But you're suggesting that the church behaved in an un-Christianlike way on this topic; that sans-apology this incident was a chink in its ability to represent the Savior. Maybe you agree with the guy who demanded I give him a chicken.

It's an odd assertion to say the least, given who is at it's head.
Pardon me for the psycho-analysis, but this is the crux of the problem you have (as does Indy and other legalists).

You say you believe in grace and repentance but you act and talk the complete opposite. You have a very uneasy relationship with sin. It terrifies you. To acknowledge it in your life is to acknowledge the possibility that you will be cut off from God and loved ones for eternity. You would rather redefine and repackage the concept of sin (or distinguish it from "minor sin" which doesn't qualify) so you don't have to admit to any.

Thus you have a paradigm that the church can do no wrong. Since an apology by the church is an admission that the church did wrong, it upends your world. With your paradigm of sin and the eternal effects of it, an admission of guilt is completely condemning and damning.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye
might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be
of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Pardon me for the psycho-analysis, but this is the crux of the problem you have (as does Indy and other legalists).

You say you believe in grace and repentance but you act and talk the complete opposite. You have a very uneasy relationship with sin. It terrifies you. To acknowledge it in your life is to acknowledge the possibility that you will be cut off from God and loved ones for eternity. You would rather redefine and repackage the concept of sin (or distinguish it from "minor sin" which doesn't qualify) so you don't have to admit to any.

Thus you have a paradigm that the church can do no wrong. Since an apology by the church is an admission that the church did wrong, it upends your world. With your paradigm of sin and the eternal effects of it, an admission of guilt is completely condemning and damning.

Someone must have seriously scarred you at some point in your life. You have serious issues with guilt, judgement, being judged, etc. and you do some serious and baseless projection onto others.

Leave the psycho-analysis to <gulp> people like Mike Waters, who actually might have a clue, despite himself, and let Mike Waters leave the football prediction scoring formula to you or Pelagius or someone like that.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Someone must have seriously scarred you at some point in your life. You have serious issues with guilt, judgement, being judged, etc. and you do some serious and baseless projection onto others.

Leave the psycho-analysis to <gulp> people like Mike Waters, who actually might have a clue, despite himself, and let Mike Waters leave the football prediction scoring formula to you or Pelagius or someone like that.
jay, he is scared of you and what you say.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:

I love this stuff; it's like going to a palm reader.

Tell me more about what I believe. Should I buy you a chicken, too?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Offending descendants by controlling property?

At some point, you don't bow to pressure. My concern is to create an area where abnormal criticisms might be staged. Yes, MMM was an egregious mistake, but I don't trust the federal government at all.

I've not seen a property controlled by the Church which has been operated poorly. In some ways, the Church continuing responsibility for it, shows it acknowledges its continuing blame. Giving it to the federal government basically says the Church is now just pushing it away.
I don't buy the argument that we somehow control the story by owning the property. Or that we need to control the story. What are we afraid of? Again, give me specifics examples.