cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

doesn't look like that much work. except we will have to look for rocks I think.

actually, if they haven't died yet, my dad has banana trees in his backyard.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Lessons learned:

1. You need good big rocks. Not crappy smallish sedimentary rocks that crack and explode.

2. Make the pit deeper and wider than you think you will need it.

3. Make sure the pit is covered with sufficient material/dirt.

4. Leaf blower makes for an excellent "forge-effect." I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled to hear the whine of a gas-powered leaf blower Christmas morning.

I wonder if it would have been better if skin was still attached. Overall the meat was okay and well-done, but not as tender as I would have thought. We left it in for 7 hours (small pig, less than 20lb), and when I pulled it out, it was only warm. Heat had died out. Meaning that it had stopped cooking maybe an hour or two before. Meat tasted a bit like a cross between turkey and pork. I wonder if part of the difference is using a feral pig.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

There is a simpler way to do all of this. Not quite as entertaining, but effective.

This also assumes you are dealing with roasts, or that your "pig" is small enough to fit in your oven.

1) Rub your pork with your favorite seasoning.
2) Wrap multiple times (5-6) with white butcher paper.
3) Cover entire package with butcher-type elastic webbing (I can't remember what it is called - but they use it to hold roasts together). This holds the wrapping together and seals in the moisture.
4) Place in oven and bake 1/2 hour per pound at 250 degrees.

You can also smoke the meat for an hour first if you like. The paper seals in the moisture much like the big leaves they use for Kalua pork. Works great. Very tender and moist.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-28-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Lame.

Did I mention that we had to use a bucket to get water out of our pit? Raining for three days straight.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There is a simpler way to do all of this. Not quite as entertaining, but effective.

This also assumes you are dealing with roasts, or that your "pig" is small enough to fit in your oven.

1) Rub your pork with your favorite seasoning.
2) Wrap multiple times (5-6) with white butcher paper.
3) Cover entire package with butcher-type elastic webbing (I can't remember what it is called - but they use it to hold roasts together). This holds the wrapping together and seals in the moisture.
4) Place in oven and bake 1/2 per pound at 250 degrees.

You can also smoke the meat for an hour first if you like. The paper seals in the moisture much like the big leaves they use for Kalua pork. Works great. Very tender and moist.
Jeff, I suggested this very thing, but for Mike, the adventure involved in the process is as important as the result. It does make things more interesting

Thanks for the suggestions, surfah, we used a lot of your advice. We actually had ti and banana leaves from some of his dad's plants.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Jeff, I suggested this very thing, but for Mike, the adventure involved in the process is as important as the result. It does make things more interesting
LOL. I figured as much.

I must admit that I would like to try this someday. Just for the adventure.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 AM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Sorry it didn't go better. I learned on a scout camp years ago when we were freezing our asses off what kind of rocks explode and not. I should have clarified. But at least now you can say you've done it so when the ward activites chair asks you to put on the ward luau you're good to go.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote