cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #31
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Dara Torres did this, too.

There is a clever strategy involved here....

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

By volunteering for blood testing a few months ago, Dara was being shrewd.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.
The good thing that the IOC is doing now is keeping samples for 8 years. That way if what you were taking becomes detectable, they strip you of your results and medals. Of course you have already been celebrated for years adn made your money, so what is the real cost but shame.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #32
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Living in Southern California at the time at age 11, my favorite memory of the 84 games? gouging McDonalds for the gold, silver, bronze game that they had going. When the USSR backed out we all won so many free freaking big macs I was eating there for months.
Speaking of that, I was on my mission during the Olympics in '92. One lovely young lady that worked at the 7-11 we frequented gave us a pile of game cards for an Olympic matching game that 7-11 was sponsoring. We must have had 1000 of them. We ate free hot dogs and Big Gulps for a few weeks.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Dara Torres also asked that they save her blood for any future tests that they come up with.
Again, amigo, I hope they are all clean.

The numbers seem fishy, though. And we have a history of cheating/drugs in almost every major sport.....as well as in the Olympics.

Generally speaking, world records dont fall en masse. And I dont care how well laser stiched a swimsuit may be.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The numbers seem fishy, though. And we have a history of cheating/drugs in almost every major sport.....as well as in the Olympics.
I agree. It's pretty ridiculous when the 4th and 5th place finishers also break the existing WR. I find it hard to believe that because their suits aren't sewn together, it reduces drag enough to shatter a WR by 5 seconds. But I don't follow swimming at all, so I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #35
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dara Torres did this, too.

There is a clever strategy involved here....

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

By volunteering for blood testing a few months ago, Dara was being shrewd.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.

If the test turns up the foreign substance, she can deny knowing how it got there and then simply get clean before the games. She won't be disciplined because the designer dope is not on the list of banned substances. Also, I believe I read that voluntary testing is not actionable.

It would be interesting to note whether Phelps asked for these tests this week or last month. I have no clue.

I hope he isnt a doper. After all, Spitz also broke 7 WRs in one week, and that was 27 years ago, when designer dope was likely tough to come by...so being clean is definitely possible.

But too many of them are smashing records this week.....no way they are all clean.

Wasnt there a Spanish cyclist who was busted this past week for doping in the Olympics?
I did hear about Torres being heckled for asking for more tests. Btu I din't know the info. on designer dope, so thank you. I really hope that Phelps isn't doping, that would really wipe out all the reasons why I posted this thread to begin with. You think he would given all the hype around him, and not to mention the lack or privacy? Again, I would be so sad if he was.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
I did hear about Torres being heckled for asking for more tests. Btu I din't know the info. on designer dope, so thank you. I really hope that Phelps isn't doping, that would really wipe out all the reasons why I posted this thread to begin with. You think he would given all the hype around him, and not to mention the lack or privacy? Again, I would be so sad if he was.
No worries, Gidget.

I am with you on this one.....I am going on record today to say that Michael Phelps is simply a freak of nature. He is the Halley's Comet of swimming and we are witnessing history this week.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

Anyone else notice that of the 10 Golds the entire US contingency has earned thus far, half of them come from Michael Phelps? And he will likely add more in the next day.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #38
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone else notice that of the 10 Golds the entire US contingency has earned thus far, half of them come from Michael Phelps? And he will likely add more in the next day.
Our family was just talking about this! Yes he IS a freak of nature I, for one, join you - I think he was born to do this, no drugs, no dope, it cannot be explained.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #39
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Our family was just talking about this! Yes he IS a freak of nature I, for one, join you - I think he was born to do this, no drugs, no dope, it cannot be explained.
I like it. Same way I feel about Armstrong.

And I am not really questioning Phelps, its the 4 other dudes that all break the world record with him. It's everyone else that is cheating. GO AMERICA!
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Perhaps that is because the first few days of the Olympics has been loaded with swimming events.

Wait until they get to the cap busting events. The US will sweep 'em all.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote