cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road
Default From Bill Simmons re: the Gasol trade...

(Simmons is ESPN.com's "The Sports Guy", my favorite columnist on ESPN.com)

"At least the Celts gave up Al Jefferson for KG. How was the Gasol trade legal? If I kill my mailman and no one ever finds out, does that make it legal? Jerry West's old team (Memphis) gift-wrapped its best player for the team that once employed West for 40 years, taking back a pupu platter (Kwame Brown, a third-string guard and two crappy picks). This happened even though the Lakers' season would have been over without a center. Had this trade taken place in a fantasy league, it would have led to three weeks of vicious e-mails, crumbled friendships, guys quitting and maybe even a fistfight. In the NBA, it led to the Lakers being presented the 2008 Western Conference trophy by … yup, a crying Jerry West. The NBA, where chicanery happens."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3422313
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
(Simmons is ESPN.com's "The Sports Guy", my favorite columnist on ESPN.com)

"At least the Celts gave up Al Jefferson for KG. How was the Gasol trade legal? If I kill my mailman and no one ever finds out, does that make it legal? Jerry West's old team (Memphis) gift-wrapped its best player for the team that once employed West for 40 years, taking back a pupu platter (Kwame Brown, a third-string guard and two crappy picks). This happened even though the Lakers' season would have been over without a center. Had this trade taken place in a fantasy league, it would have led to three weeks of vicious e-mails, crumbled friendships, guys quitting and maybe even a fistfight. In the NBA, it led to the Lakers being presented the 2008 Western Conference trophy by … yup, a crying Jerry West. The NBA, where chicanery happens."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3422313
But this is asinine. According to some people, you can't judge the results of the trade until you see the big picture. One posted on CB claimed that Crittendon was the Lakers best pure athlete (maybe he forgets Kobe plays in LA) or that "you don't know what the draft picks will turn out to be".

Uh-huh. Simmons is a tool, but he's right. This trade doesn't happen on NBA Live, in Fantasy Leagues anywhere, or even with Basketball cards. Only in the NBA...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Simmons is a tool?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Simmons is a tool?
If he means the tool that pries laughter out of your body then, yes, he is a tool.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
But this is asinine. According to some people, you can't judge the results of the trade until you see the big picture. One posted on CB claimed that Crittendon was the Lakers best pure athlete (maybe he forgets Kobe plays in LA) or that "you don't know what the draft picks will turn out to be".

Uh-huh. Simmons is a tool, but he's right. This trade doesn't happen on NBA Live, in Fantasy Leagues anywhere, or even with Basketball cards. Only in the NBA...
Yeah the trade does not happen in any fantasy realm. It only happens in real life. Not a very solid arguement really.

The dollars have to match in NBA trades and the lakers happened to have a big expiring contract on a crappy player which is exactly what Memphis needed in order to rebuild their team. People need to stop whining about this.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Yeah the trade does not happen in any fantasy realm. It only happens in real life. Not a very solid arguement really.

The dollars have to match in NBA trades and the lakers happened to have a big expiring contract on a crappy player which is exactly what Memphis needed in order to rebuild their team. People need to stop whining about this.
, said the Laker fan.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
, said the Laker fan.
I promise you I would not have whined if any team would have had that trade. You can believe me or not. I really don't care. People just need to stop whining and put away their conspiracy theories, it make them come off as small time.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I promise you I would not have whined if any team would have had that trade. You can believe me or not. I really don't care. People just need to stop whining and put away their conspiracy theories, it make them come off as small time.
I don't think it's conspiracy by the NBA. The Grizzlies made the trade, and were stupid for doing so. I don't fault the Lakers, it's Memphis' fault for being so stupid. I also don't buy the 'rebuilding their team' argument either. They can prove me wrong by actually spending the money, but I don't think they will.

The other thing is why not shop Gasol more then they did. I'd bet they could have found a much better offer for Pau than what they got. Agree or disagree?

If I'm a Laker fan and can't admit that we fleeced the Grizzlies on that trade, then you are delusional. It will go down as one of the most lopsided trades in NBA History, if not in pro-sports history.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Simmons is a tool?
I don't find him that funny. His Boston shtick has gotten old. And honestly, I see JohnnyLingo as a Bill Simmons wannabe. That alone is enough to make him a tool in my book.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I don't think it's conspiracy by the NBA. The Grizzlies made the trade, and were stupid for doing so. I don't fault the Lakers, it's Memphis' fault for being so stupid. I also don't buy the 'rebuilding their team' argument either. They can prove me wrong by actually spending the money, but I don't think they will.

The other thing is why not shop Gasol more then they did. I'd bet they could have found a much better offer for Pau than what they got. Agree or disagree?

If I'm a Laker fan and can't admit that we fleeced the Grizzlies on that trade, then you are delusional. It will go down as one of the most lopsided trades in NBA History, if not in pro-sports history.
We fleeced the Grizzlies. But they got what they wanted. In terms of what they could have got had they shopped him around? Who knows? I mean, they're not going to get a super star for him. Is he worth a high draft pick? Probably not. Would you trade a lottery pick for him? Maybe. But that's not necessarily what they wanted. They've tried for a few years to build around him as the franchise player and it got them to the playoffs but never helped them win a playoff game. So they blow up the team, get some additional picks and expiring contracts to go after a free agent and rebuild.

And if you think that those 2nd rounds picks from the Lakers were throwaways look at what the Lakers have done with theirs in recent years (Turiaf and Walton). They also got Marc Gasol who in a few years can be as good as Pau and has been playing well in Europe now.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote