cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Kimbo is a joke. The guy has never fought anyone of any substance. James Thompson was knocked out in under 30 seconds in an MMA fight by Butterbean. Thompson had lost his last 3 fights in under 30 seconds. He has a glass chin and he took Kimbos best shots and still stayed on his feet. Thompson also has awful ground skills, if he was mediocre on the ground he finishes Kimbo.

The worst part about that was the ref, Thompson has side control, going for full mount and the ref stands him up? He was completely favoring Kimbo, Kimbo is all the EliteXC has. Even when Thompson had Kimbos arm pinned to the ground and he was dropping elbows, the ref kept saying "You need to work, do something." threatening to stand it up. Also the stoppage was premature.

In the fight between Smith and Lawler the EliteXC really screwed themselves, that had the chance to be a fight of the year candidate. Then you stop it because of a poke in the eye? This is what happens when you have a female ring doctor.

Also the whole production was a joke, Gary Shaw (the commissioner of the EliteXC) is a boxing promoter, he made it look like a WWE event. They showed the dancers more than the fighters, the commercials were ridiculous and half of America missed the Kimbo fight because they went over by a full hour. So if you had it tivoed you missed it.
I'm not a fan of Kimbo, or the hype that's associated with him. Did you see how gassed he was at the end of the fight? I thought they were going to have to bring the EMT's to revive his ass. Nice to see EliteXC protect their cash cow. Can you imagine what Big Nog would do to this guy?

Overall, I thought the card was ok. I agree with CJ, the production was a joke. Was it necessary to announce the fighters two seperate times? I did like Gus Johnson's play by play; give him time to get better acquainted with the nuances and he could be a good one.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I'm not a fan of Kimbo, or the hype that's associated with him. Did you see how gassed he was at the end of the fight? I thought they were going to have to bring the EMT's to revive his ass. Nice to see EliteXC protect their cash cow. Can you imagine what Big Nog would do to this guy?

Overall, I thought the card was ok. I agree with CJ, the production was a joke. Was it necessary to announce the fighters two seperate times? I did like Gus Johnson's play by play; give him time to get better acquainted with the nuances and he could be a good one.
I agree with you on Gus, he did do a good job. I also thought they needed to let the guy from Pride talk more he knows what he is talking about. But I dont think he will be back after he mentioned that Robbie Lawler lost 3 of 4 fights in the UFC and his contract was not renewed.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But I dont think he will be back after he mentioned that Robbie Lawler lost 3 of 4 fights in the UFC and his contract was not renewed.
I was laughing so hard when he said that. I'll bet he got screamed at. Lawler was by far the best fighter they had in the octagon that night and he's not good enough for UFC. I think we all knew going in that extremeXC wasn't going to be anything great. I just wanted to see what all this Kimbo Slice fuss was about. Turns out, it's about nothing.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
So when I hear people talking about bum fight videos, these are the bums they're talking about? I always pictured people paying crackheads who could barely walk to beat each other up. I had no idea they were talking about people in the kind of shape that I saw in those youtube videos.
No bumfights are exactly as you described and are rather disgusting.

Kimbo's MMA bouts have been jokes. They're just trying to protect him and ride the hype and hoping somewhere along the way he learns a few things and can be decent. He's far from it now. His conditioning is weak. He looked like he did against Gannon at the end of that Thompson fight.

I doubt Elite XC will last long. Lots of the radio and sports talk have been bashing CBS. The production was a joke. CBS should watch WEC on Versus of all channels and take notes.

Carano was good. Her face and tig ols go a long way to help.

Lawler hasn't been good for awhile. I've always liked Scott Smith. Smith's fight against Pete Sell was epic. One of my favorites ever. Best finish to a fight I think I have ever watched.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
No bumfights are exactly as you described and are rather disgusting.

Kimbo's MMA bouts have been jokes. They're just trying to protect him and ride the hype and hoping somewhere along the way he learns a few things and can be decent. He's far from it now. His conditioning is weak. He looked like he did against Gannon at the end of that Thompson fight.

I doubt Elite XC will last long. Lots of the radio and sports talk have been bashing CBS. The production was a joke. CBS should watch WEC on Versus of all channels and take notes.

Carano was good. Her face and tig ols go a long way to help.

Lawler hasn't been good for awhile. I've always liked Scott Smith. Smith's fight against Pete Sell was epic. One of my favorites ever. Best finish to a fight I think I have ever watched.

Another reason the WEC is great, Frank Mir is the best in the business. He is enjoyable to listen to.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Another reason the WEC is great, Frank Mir is the best in the business. He is enjoyable to listen to.
I like Frank Mir quite a bit. When he burst onto the scene though I couldn't stand him. I think his motorcycle accident and his tough path back have humbled him and have made him much more palatable for me. He is smart though and knows his moves.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Elite XC sucks. They did get damn good ratings though so I doubt CBS regrets their decision. EliteXC is just bush league though.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Elite XC sucks. They did get damn good ratings though so I doubt CBS regrets their decision. EliteXC is just bush league though.
They drew a 2.7 rating which is not bad, but that is probably because a lot of casual fans tuned in, if you were a casual fan, would that show have hooked you? I doubt it.

In contrast the XFL, drew a 9.7 its first week and never drew close a 1 share after that.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
cougjunkie

So great quotes about the EliteXC..........

What the main event lacked in quality it made up for in entertainment, unintentional or not. Here are my four favorite absurdly hysterical moments of the Kimbo-Colossus fight.
4. When the fight was called, Colossus, the loser, tried to fight the ref for unfairly ending it. Kimbo, the winner, collapsed in exhaustion as many in the once pro-Kimbo crowd in Newark, N.J., turned on their guy. Not exactly a victory lap.
3. The CBS announcing crew’s endless hyperbole reaching its pinnacle when one of them compared Kimbo to Tiger Woods.
This would be applicable if Tiger had gained fame hitting trick shots in putt putt and then was invited to a second rate club championship which CBS was conned into televising. He then shot a final round 124, after which he was declared the winner anyway.
2. The judges. Kimbo spent most of the second round getting his skull hit and thanking the heavens that Colossus could only manage weak punches and elbows. Anyone else and this ends ugly. Even with Colossus, the fight could have been called (ha) in this undeniably terrible round for Kimbo.
Naturally, one of the “impartial judges” scored the round in his favor anyway. If this had gone to decision, is there any doubt at least one of the judges would have scored the three-round fight for Kimbo, five rounds to zero?
1. The Ear. What, you’ve seen an ear like that before? When everyone predicted this would be a freak show, no one thought the Colossus would take it to heart. His cauliflower ear was massive, this huge ball of blood and puss hanging off his head.
Ah, didn’t anyone think to mention he might want to drain that thing before Kimbo whacks him upside the head and makes it explode? Which, of course, happened.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So great quotes about the EliteXC..........

What the main event lacked in quality it made up for in entertainment, unintentional or not. Here are my four favorite absurdly hysterical moments of the Kimbo-Colossus fight.
4. When the fight was called, Colossus, the loser, tried to fight the ref for unfairly ending it. Kimbo, the winner, collapsed in exhaustion as many in the once pro-Kimbo crowd in Newark, N.J., turned on their guy. Not exactly a victory lap.
3. The CBS announcing crew’s endless hyperbole reaching its pinnacle when one of them compared Kimbo to Tiger Woods.
This would be applicable if Tiger had gained fame hitting trick shots in putt putt and then was invited to a second rate club championship which CBS was conned into televising. He then shot a final round 124, after which he was declared the winner anyway.
2. The judges. Kimbo spent most of the second round getting his skull hit and thanking the heavens that Colossus could only manage weak punches and elbows. Anyone else and this ends ugly. Even with Colossus, the fight could have been called (ha) in this undeniably terrible round for Kimbo.
Naturally, one of the “impartial judges” scored the round in his favor anyway. If this had gone to decision, is there any doubt at least one of the judges would have scored the three-round fight for Kimbo, five rounds to zero?
1. The Ear. What, you’ve seen an ear like that before? When everyone predicted this would be a freak show, no one thought the Colossus would take it to heart. His cauliflower ear was massive, this huge ball of blood and puss hanging off his head.
Ah, didn’t anyone think to mention he might want to drain that thing before Kimbo whacks him upside the head and makes it explode? Which, of course, happened.
Did one of the judges seriously score the 2nd round for Kimbo? He should be fired immediately. All I remember from that round is Kimbo taking about 1,000 elbows to the head and wondering if they were going to call the fight because he wasn't protecting himself.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote