cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is Kimbo Slice famous?

I saw him fight tonight for the first time. I've been hearing about what a beast he is for months now and so I stooped to watching extremeXC tonight to catch a glimpse of him. What I saw was a man who has absolutely no ground skills. He fought some no name guy and said guy was kicking his ass all over the octagon for 2 rounds. Slice barely made it out of his corner for the 3rd round. For some reason, the moron he's fighting decides to fight the 3rd round standing up and gets caught with a haymaker. Ref stops the fight after a couple big rights and Slice falls to the ground barely able to move he's so tired.

This Slice guy fights ANY real MM Artist and he's going to get absolutely destroyed from what I saw tonight. I'm really just trying to figure out how in the world he got so famous.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I saw him fight tonight for the first time. I've been hearing about what a beast he is for months now and so I stooped to watching extremeXC tonight to catch a glimpse of him. What I saw was a man who has absolutely no ground skills. He fought some no name guy and said guy was kicking his ass all over the octagon for 2 rounds. Slice barely made it out of his corner for the 3rd round. For some reason, the moron he's fighting decides to fight the 3rd round standing up and gets caught with a haymaker. Ref stops the fight after a couple big rights and Slice falls to the ground barely able to move he's so tired.

This Slice guy fights ANY real MM Artist and he's going to get absolutely destroyed from what I saw tonight. I'm really just trying to figure out how in the world he got so famous.
I read an article on him in ESPN the Magazine. He's famous because of some videos of him basically kicking the shit out of some guys in a street fight. He starts out taking some punches, and then unfazed just unleashes on the guy he's fighting.

While he isn't a full MMA fighter yet, it's things like the haymaker that he landed that make him popular. Plus he's a guy who 5 years ago was a nobody, he lived out of his car. He's a pretty badass mother. Then again, so are most of the MMA guys.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

Like Sizzle said, search YouTube for Kimbo. Then you'll know why everyone is talking about him. Personally, I think he's a chump, even after reading the ESPN the Mag article on him. But he's got a heck of a punch and a chin that has never been rocked. If he had any kind of skills and conditioning he could be nasty.

The best match of his was against Sean Gannon. Gannon had Kimbo several times in the fight before Kimbo's posse kept jumping in and saving Kimbo saying Gannon was using tactics and holds not agreed upon. Gannon won the fight but his face looked like Hasim Rahman's after his bout with Holyfield.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

James Thompson or whatever the name of the guy that Kimbo Slice was fighting has one nasty ear... that thing was gross. It was funny to see his face after a couple upper cuts from Kimbo and seeing his eyes roll to the back of his head.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post

The best match of his was against Sean Gannon. Gannon had Kimbo several times in the fight before Kimbo's posse kept jumping in and saving Kimbo saying Gannon was using tactics and holds not agreed upon. Gannon won the fight but his face looked like Hasim Rahman's after his bout with Holyfield.
I watched this one today. While Gannon's face was quite lumpy, Kimbo was left in a heap on the ground. I'm just not impressed, (and I'd say his chin was rocked in that one). I watched the others too, he's a very good stand up brawler but how do we know the quality of these people he was fighting? Physically the guy is a beast, I agree with you that if he gets some training (especially in the ground game) he could be good but as it stands he is completely unworthy of the hype as far as MMA goes. I've decided his fame is based at least 50% on appearance. He's gigantic, ripped and has that freaky beard with a Mr. T haircut. He LOOKS like he shouldn't lose to anyone.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
I watched this one today. While Gannon's face was quite lumpy, Kimbo was left in a heap on the ground. I'm just not impressed, (and I'd say his chin was rocked in that one). I watched the others too, he's a very good stand up brawler but how do we know the quality of these people he was fighting? Physically the guy is a beast, I agree with you that if he gets some training (especially in the ground game) he could be good but as it stands he is completely unworthy of the hype as far as MMA goes. I've decided his fame is based at least 50% on appearance. He's gigantic, ripped and has that freaky beard with a Mr. T haircut. He LOOKS like he shouldn't lose to anyone.
The guys he fights are bums. In fact Gannon was signed to a UFC fight after they saw him pummel Kimbo and Gannon was beat pretty easily in the octagon.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the Kimbo Slice fight, and I wasn't too impressed with him.

I liked the Gina Carano fight. Especially because she's pretty hot.

I enjoyed the middleweight championship fight. It was pretty bogus that they stopped it because the guy was poked in the eye. In any case, that one was the best fight of the night.

I've never really watched MMA - this actually piqued my interest a bit. I think I like it better than boxing.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I liked the Gina Carano fight. Especially because she's pretty hot.
She was the only reason I watched. The Crush fight (she's from American Gladiators) was the first live female MMA fight ever.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
The guys he fights are bums.
So when I hear people talking about bum fight videos, these are the bums they're talking about? I always pictured people paying crackheads who could barely walk to beat each other up. I had no idea they were talking about people in the kind of shape that I saw in those youtube videos.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Kimbo is a joke. The guy has never fought anyone of any substance. James Thompson was knocked out in under 30 seconds in an MMA fight by Butterbean. Thompson had lost his last 3 fights in under 30 seconds. He has a glass chin and he took Kimbos best shots and still stayed on his feet. Thompson also has awful ground skills, if he was mediocre on the ground he finishes Kimbo.

The worst part about that was the ref, Thompson has side control, going for full mount and the ref stands him up? He was completely favoring Kimbo, Kimbo is all the EliteXC has. Even when Thompson had Kimbos arm pinned to the ground and he was dropping elbows, the ref kept saying "You need to work, do something." threatening to stand it up. Also the stoppage was premature.

In the fight between Smith and Lawler the EliteXC really screwed themselves, that had the chance to be a fight of the year candidate. Then you stop it because of a poke in the eye? This is what happens when you have a female ring doctor.

Also the whole production was a joke, Gary Shaw (the commissioner of the EliteXC) is a boxing promoter, he made it look like a WWE event. They showed the dancers more than the fighters, the commercials were ridiculous and half of America missed the Kimbo fight because they went over by a full hour. So if you had it tivoed you missed it.