cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baron Davis, Boozer on the Move?

From ESPN Insider:

Davis:

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Warriors' Baron Davis has made inquiries into the interest of certain teams around the league, including the Knicks.
Davis, 29, has an opt-out clause for this summer that could make him a free agent, but the Warriors don't believe he would walk away from the final year and $17.8 million, which is money the dynamic but oft-injured guard likely wouldn't make on the open market. So Davis' only other play is to see if another team would pursue a sign-and-trade for him.

According to the source, his representation, after a preliminary discussion with the Warriors, has put out feelers to gauge the interest of teams in need of an upgrade at point guard. -- Newsday

Boozer:

Rumor is that the Miami Heat are preliminarily making him (Carlos Boozer) a priority target.

Considering Boozer has a home in south Florida, and his child's health condition reportedly is aggravated by altitude, and remembering the way Boozer deserted the Cleveland Cavs to sign his current deal with the Jazz, is a trade the best way to protect themselves from any such scenario?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Boozer for Shawn Marion. I would take that deal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Boozer should ask Larry Miller to let him out of his current contract so that he can get treatment for his sick child.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Boozer should ask Larry Miller to let him out of his current contract so that he can get treatment for his sick child.
I'm sure that Larry would be more than happy to do that again...it gets him out from underneath a huge contract...it's a win/win, just like with Fisher.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I'm sure that Larry would be more than happy to do that again...it gets him out from underneath a huge contract...it's a win/win, just like with Fisher.
Larry wishes AK had sick kids.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I'd certainly listen to trade offers with Miami.

Under the cap, this scenario likely works:

Jazz send Miami:
Boozer
Morris Almond
#23 pick in 2008 Draft

Miami sends Utah:
Udonis Hasleem
Marcus Banks
#4 pick in 2008 Draft

Miami might not want to give up Hasleem and the #4 pick, but it would get Banks' contract off of the books, and they get a talented young 2 in Almond.

The Heat would have a core of Boozer, Wade and Marion, which in the east would make them pretty dang tough. If Utah could add Beasley, pairing him with Deron Williams would be a very scary core for a long time. It may set Utah back a bit though, but Hasleem is an underrated player in my mind, and a better defender than Boozer. I don't love Banks, but he's a serviceable backup point. Maybe Miami would rather include Mark Blount instead of Banks, but if that were the case, I'd rather Utah include Collins.

I can't really see moving Boozer though. I think he and Williams play very well together, and if you are a smart big man, you don't walk away from playing with one of the best PGs in the game.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I'd certainly listen to trade offers with Miami.

Under the cap, this scenario likely works:

Jazz send Miami:
Boozer
Morris Almond
#23 pick in 2008 Draft

Miami sends Utah:
Udonis Hasleem
Marcus Banks
#4 pick in 2008 Draft

Miami might not want to give up Hasleem and the #4 pick, but it would get Banks' contract off of the books, and they get a talented young 2 in Almond.

The Heat would have a core of Boozer, Wade and Marion, which in the east would make them pretty dang tough. If Utah could add Beasley, pairing him with Deron Williams would be a very scary core for a long time. It may set Utah back a bit though, but Hasleem is an underrated player in my mind, and a better defender than Boozer. I don't love Banks, but he's a serviceable backup point. Maybe Miami would rather include Mark Blount instead of Banks, but if that were the case, I'd rather Utah include Collins.

I can't really see moving Boozer though. I think he and Williams play very well together, and if you are a smart big man, you don't walk away from playing with one of the best PGs in the game.
I thought Miami had the number 2 pick, which means they would be giving up Beasley or Rose for Boozer which I dont think they do.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Jazz need a dominating 5. Esp. on the defensive end. That would help Boozer a ton.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Would you want to pay $6-7 mil a year for a guy who:

*Shoots 38% from the field and 30% from the 3
*Routinely gets abuse on the defensive end guarding quicker, bigger players (more on Sloan than Fisher, IMO)
*Is 33 and shows signs of getting worse, not better

I wouldn't.

However, I would pay $6-7 mil a year for a guy who:
*Shoots 57% from the field and 64% from the 3
*Averages 3.5 steals per game

I'd probably pay double that if he could keep those stats up.

When seeing why Jazz fans weren't happy with Fisher, his play last year was nowhere near what he did it was this year, especially against the Jazz in the playoffs.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I thought Miami had the number 2 pick, which means they would be giving up Beasley or Rose for Boozer which I dont think they do.
They do. I'm not sure why I thought #4 pick.