cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default have you been "loyal" to the same professional teams?

1) NBA - started with the Houston Rockets (only team on TV). Also, when it came to Celtics vs. Lakers, I hated the Celtics, and like the Lakers. Much later after a few years in Utah, started liking the Jazz. Mavs for a while, rivaled my interest in Jazz, but that has dimmed. I'm not too invested.

2) MLB - I was a big fan of the Braves (again, only team regularly on TV except for the Cubs). I liked Dale Murphy. Once Murphy retired, and I was busy with college, stopped caring. Second place would be the Astros. Now I don't really care about any team. Maybe I care a little about the Rangers, but the owner is terrible and the team is terrible.

3) NFL - it's always been the Cowboys. But when Steve Young was doing well with the niners, I liked them as well. Again, for me, Cowboys only team regularly on TV.

But in the end, I don't get rabid support for a pro team. I've been to one NBA game, a handful of MLB games, and no NFL games.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never wavered from my allegiances. I always thought it was cool to see old guys that have liked the same team for ever, so in the 1st grade I decided to pick my teams and stick with them.

NFL- Dolphins, I loved Dan Marino, the Marks brothers and the teal and orange uniforms (remember I was a first grader)

NBA- Spurs, I remember seeing a thing on TV about David Robinson and the Navy, I thought he was a cool guy so I decided on the Spurs.

MLB- Giants, all of my uncles are huge Giants fans, I grew up in the Bay Area, my dad used to work late hours and I am the only nephew in the family, so they would take me to Giants games all the time. Still to this day two of my uncles call me after almost every Giants game.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My childhood teams

1) Cincinnati Reds - Started with 1975 Reds/Red Sox World Series. Have stayed with them through all these years

2) Philadelphia 76ers - Loved Dr. J as a kid. Stopped rooting for them about the time they got rid of Barkley. Have never really embraced an NBA team since then.

3) Dallas Cowboys - Lived in Texas as a kid in the early to mid 70s. Stayed with the Cowboys until Aikman/Emmett were gone and the collective bumblings of Jerry Jones and Switzer/Meshawn/Parcells/Pacman/Owens and so forth are just too much for me to root for them any more.

So I'm left with the Reds, who have sucked almost continuously since the 1990 World Series. I don't have an NFL or NBA team I really root for anymore and I spend more of my time with NCAA football and basketball.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to root for the Boston franchises overall.

Baseball: Love the Red Sox, probably the only pro sports team I'm loyal to anymore.

Football: I've tended to root by player more than by franchise. Like you I was a Steve Young fan and that basically made me a Niners fan until the present time. I was an Eagles fan when Detmer played. I'll pull for Beck in Miami. I like the Patriots as well.

Basketball: Grew up in Oregon and the Trailblazers were the only game in town. Loved the Drexler led Blazers and followed them fanatically until Clyde left for Houston. I rooted for Houston while Drexler played there. When he retired I couldn't follow the Blazers anymore (the Pippen led version). My interest in the NBA has waned steadily since. The Kings were fun to watch in the Webber years but this Artest version does nothing for me.

Hockey: Bruins and Sharks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

MLB - Died in the wool Dodger fan when I was young. However, I lost interest in the Dodgers and baseball sometime after Gibson hit his home run. I don't have a favorite team now and don't care much about MLB.

NFL- LA Rams fan. Merlin Olsen days. Became a 49ers fan when Steve Young joined the team. I now root for teams with BYU players on them and really don't have a NFL team I root hard for.

NBA- Maybe the Lakers when they had Baylor and West. Never have been a big NBA fan. Of course I pull for the Jazz.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

NFL: Been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was a little kid. Grew up watching Danny White, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Too Tall Jones, Everson Walls, etc...etc..etc...

NBA: Same with the Jazz.

MLB: Same with the Reds. I was born there and growing up having to hear stories of my older brothers going to World Series games with the Big Red Machine. When I lived in Arizona early in the decade it was hard not to get caught up in the D-backs World Series run.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Never wavered.

Growing up, we were raised with the Lakers, Dodgers, Raiders, and SC. I had never even heard of BYU until later when I started going to Church as a youth. The BYU/SC thing is my only conflict of interest.

The fact that the Silver and Black have sucked takes some sting out of the re-lo, kind of like when your ex winds up dating a nerd. Yes, I pretend to not care about the Raiders since they went back to Oakland, but I am only fooling myself. Sometimes at night I drive by the Raiders house to see if their car is out front in the driveway. Or maybe I will just call the Raiders and hang up if they answer. I am still not over it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely.

Redskins, Bullets/Wizards, Capitals, and Nationals (most recently). Never wavered.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

1) NBA - I was a big Celtics fan during the Magic-Bird years. That was a great rivalry. Now I am a Jazz fan. I have had season tickets this year (shared with some friends) so that has been a lot of fun.

2) MLB - Never have been much of a fan. Marginal Cardinals fan.

3) NLF - I was a huge L.A. Rams fan as a kid. All the kids my age were either Vikings fans or Rams fans. I grew out of that. I was a big Niners fan in the Steve Young era. I don't really follow the NFL much anymore. However, my most hated team has always been the Dallas Cowboys.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Lifelong Jazz fan.

Since I've been in Ohio, I've enjoyed watching the Bengals and Reds, as well as hating the Browns and Indians (the MLB team, not the people).

I've also always liked the Yankees.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote