cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #41
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Junkie, I have a feeling that when the dust settles and you really consider all the hoops you have watched, Game 3 of Spurs Suns round 1 is NOT going to rank as the greatest you have ever seen a team play in the post-season.

Spurs would beat the Jazz, no question. We may all have the chance to see that matchup, actually.
Maybe because it is fresh in my mind you are right, but in recent memory it is the greatest single game performance I have seen in a long long time.

Charles Barkley and Bill Simmons both agree with me (not sure if this hurts or helps my case).
Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #42
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Let me add that Paul had Kidd guarding him, you dont think he is a great defender do you?

Parker averaged 29.6 points and 7 assists against Phoenix. While Shooting 54% from the floor.

Paul had good numbers 24 points 12 assists against Dallas but he also shot less than 50% from the floor, and had a 4-18 night. Even in San Antonios blowout loss Parker was 7-17.
Kidd is not a great defender. But he is better than Steve-O. And the Mavs, as a team are better than the Suns defensively. Parker had a great series, I think Paul was better, especially considring the defensive end.

I doubt very seriously that you will be swayed by my argument.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #43
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Kidd is not a great defender. But he is better than Steve-O. And the Mavs, as a team are better than the Suns defensively. Parker had a great series, I think Paul was better, especially considring the defensive end.

I doubt very seriously that you will be swayed by my argument.
I think Paul is a better point guard than Tony Parker, but I think come playoff time I wouldnt want anyone else on my team.

I dont think you are reading my argument, because Nash did not guard Parker. He guarded Parker for less than 10% of the possessions. Raja Bell, Grant Hill and Boris Diaw guarded Parker and they are all better defenders than Kidd.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #44
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think Paul is a better point guard than Tony Parker, but I think come playoff time I wouldnt want anyone else on my team.

I dont think you are reading my argument, because Nash did not guard Parker. He guarded Parker for less than 10% of the possessions. Raja Bell, Grant Hill and Boris Diaw guarded Parker and they are all better defenders than Kidd.
Maybe I did not take that into account. But I do recall that an enormous number of Parker's points came off the pick and roll, particularly picking on Shaq, and the atrocious rotation that Phoenix had going in the series.

Regardless 24 and 12 is more points than 29 and seven. Furthermore, Parker's production (presuming a two point value for each assist just for ease) accounted for 41.1% of the Spurs offensive production (43 points out of 104.4 ppg) vs. 46.96% of the Hornets production. Which means that Paul was 14% more valuable to his team as a percentage of his teams offensive production.

How is that for an Indy Coug argument? Of course I realize that there is no such thing as a conclusive quantative argument, my judgment says that Paul is better. Yours says that Parker was better. Of course, most would question our opinions because you like an abomination of basketball team, and I am a basketball satan worshiper (laker's fan). Where does that leave us..? At an impasse.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #45
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Are you suggesting the odds of the Jazz making the finals approximate the odds of you winning the Powerball? Or is this another instance of you thinking a difference between two statistics is meaningless?
What I mean is the probability of both is so remote that it's not worth arguing what will happen beyond those events (Jazz going to Finals or winning the Powerball).

Only a slobbering idiot would think I was actually saying that the odds of the Jazz going to the NBA Finals was greater than 100,000,000:1.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #46
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
McGrady is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Look at his career FG and 3-pt %s and FT percentages. THey are low. And they are worse in the playoffs. And each year he is getting worse in terms of his skills.
He is. I read an article proposing T-mac is a better player than Kobe a few years ago. It was silly then, and they've gone in opposing directions since then.

Luckily for T-Mac, the team surrounding him is better than he's ever enjoyed before.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
He is. I read an article proposing T-mac is a better player than Kobe a few years ago. It was silly then, and they've gone in opposing directions since then.

Luckily for T-Mac, the team surrounding him is better than he's ever enjoyed before.
Kobe has 2 things going for him that T-Mac can't touch.

#1. Mental toughness. Kobe will cut your heart out and feed it to you, to win a game. T-Mac not so much.

#2. WHen it comes to superstar treatment by the officials...T-Mac can't touch Kobe. Yes Kobe got a ton of techs this season, but that's beside the point. In the stretch there is one guy who will get more calls than most players in the league and Kobe is the leader in that regard.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 05-01-2008 at 02:51 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #48
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What I mean is the probability of both is so remote that it's not worth arguing what will happen beyond those events (Jazz going to Finals or winning the Powerball).

Only a slobbering idiot would think I was actually saying that the odds of the Jazz going to the NBA Finals was greater than 100,000,000:1.
So you have troubles making apt comparisons and your inclusion of the comparison was therefore of no value. I get it. Note to self: ignore most of what Indy says as Indy himself doesn't find it relevant.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
So you have troubles making apt comparisons and your inclusion of the comparison was therefore of no value. I get it. Note to self: ignore most of what Indy says as Indy himself doesn't find it relevant.
Note to Cali: understand the principle being illustrated and stop being a mindless literalist.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #50
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Kobe has 2 things going for him that T-Mac can't touch.

#1. Mental toughness. Kobe will cut your heart out and feed it to you, to win a game. T-Mac not so much.

#2. WHen it comes to superstar treatment by the officials...T-Mac can't touch Kobe. Yes Kobe got a ton of techs this season, but that's beside the point. In the stretch there is one guy who will get more calls than most players in the league and Kobe is the leader in that regard.
I think the "kobe gets the calls" issue is blown a little out of proportion. I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with hard data that shows Kobe gets more than his share of fouls called proportional to the number of touches. Keep in mind - he's going to get more touches down the stretch than probably any other player in the league.

Granted, I'm biased, and this is on the defensive end, but in the Denver series, I saw at least 4 calls on Kobe where he didn't even touch the guy (I only watched parts of three games)...

One was quite egregious. Guy shot a jump-shot, Kobe extended to attempt the block, and pulled back his hand when the player let the ball go. Kobe didn't touch the guy. No lower-body contact. Nothing. And yet he was called for the foul.

Similarly, on the offensive end, there were several times he got hacked in the 3rd quarter of game4, with no call.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote