cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
After reading this artcile, I am leaning in favor of the USA boycotting the olympics.

We should be asking why China got the games in the first place. But the fact is they were awarded them and boycotting the games punishes our athletes more than it punishes China. I don't like athletes being used as political pawns especially when it is athletes who only get a chance to accomplish their goal once every four years. For most of them, a boycott will mean a lifetime of work wasted to make a political point. Most won't make it back in 4 years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
After reading this artcile, I am leaning in favor of the USA boycotting the olympics.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3724308.ece

Basically, if an athlete protests or otherwise demonstrates, he/she will likely be expelled from the games. Such as after winning, running around the track with a Tibet flag.

It's interesting how Bush is being exposed as a leader with no moral leadership. He supposedly came in with an agenda to promote freedom. But he is embracing and will continue to embrace evil. It's sickening.
Ironically, the rules that might result in an athlete's expulsion resulted from a protest by two American Athletes against American' domestic policies.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
We should be asking why China got the games in the first place. But the fact is they were awarded them and boycotting the games punishes our athletes more than it punishes China. I don't like athletes being used as political pawns especially when it is athletes who only get a chance to accomplish their goal once every four years. For most of them, a boycott will mean a lifetime of work wasted to make a political point. Most won't make it back in 4 years.
Does it look like I care?

I'm supposed to weigh an athlete's feelings against murder, torture, imprisonment, communism, totalitarianism, fascism.

They say "sports transcends politics." But what that means is money (sports) trumps human rights (politics).

God, I hate the idea of being more concerned about selfish athletes than people who are dying under oppression.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Another point: how do you ever put pressure on a country when you always accede to their demands?

Make some demands and say "if you dont' take these steps, we can't in good conscience play games in your country and pretend these things aren't going on and don't matter and are less important than sports."
Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This is from the Olympics' organization's website.

Quote:
According to the Olympic Charter, established by Pierre de Coubertin, the goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practised without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
What about what China is doing fits the Olympic movement and spirit?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3724308.ece

Basically, if an athlete protests or otherwise demonstrates, he/she will likely be expelled from the games. Such as after winning, running around the track with a Tibet flag.

It's interesting how Bush is being exposed as a leader with no moral leadership. He supposedly came in with an agenda to promote freedom. But he is embracing and will continue to embrace evil. It's sickening.
Wow. That is shocking. They can't even hang up a Tibet flag in their dorm room. I think I have lost what little respect I had for the Olympics.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #37
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3716291.ece

Note the many pro-China Chinese protestors.

Boy this is a massive embarrassment for the Chinese govt. and pro-Communist Chinese, shining a bright light on their human rights abuses.

It used to the that the GOP stood against communism. The GOP places business interests first, so there will be no protest from the GOP about anything China does (as long as isn't tarriffs or currency issues).

I can't decide if it is better to boycott the olympics, or to have all or many of our athletes symbolically protest the Chinese govt. while there (such as black gloves raised in the air, or black arm-bands, or some other public symbol).
I agree. I feel so good for those people who have been oppressed for so long who now have the opportunity to humiliate China by something as silly as dousing the Olympic torch. It is a small act, but it is having a powerful effect.

I think China is going to regret ever having invited the world to visit. They are unprepared for the scrutiny they are about to receive worldwide. They will try to control that scrutiny by limiting reporters' access to certain areas, but then the reporters will report that their access has been limited. Inevitably, several will gain access to areas they are not supposed to see and will broadcast to the world. What will China do when Tibetan monks or members of Falun Gong fill Tiananmen Square in protest? Will China let them protest in front of live video cameras, or will they arrest them? What if Falun Gong members then light themselves on fire in front of the world? What happens when a prominent Chinese citizen is interviewed and stands up to his government? This is going to get wildly out of control for China, and their reaction may dictate their future.

That said, I am more torn on the idea of boycotting the Olympics. I think it is better that the US attend, despite the human rights issues in China. The US presence simply adds to the magnifying glass China will be under. It enhances the media presence and US interest in the games. Furthermore, China is on the path to becoming a superpower. They will get there with or without our say so. I find it critical to befriend them now, and be a helping hand that guides them in the right direction. Alienation comes at a heavy price, too heavy. Certainly that doesn't mean ignoring what China is doing and has done, but a boycott is a heavy hammer that may smash our relations into pieces that can't be put back together.

As for the president attending, I think he should be bringing pressure to bear on the Chinese to address Tibet and human rights issues right now. China is desperate for good media, and they must know that if Tibet isn't addressed now, the scrutiny is only going to grow. They could respond to Bush's non-public requests. If they don't, Bush will be in a tough spot, and I am not convinced on the merits of attending the opening ceremonies v boycotting them just yet.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree. I feel so good for those people who have been oppressed for so long who now have the opportunity to humiliate China by something as silly as dousing the Olympic torch. It is a small act, but it is having a powerful effect.

I think China is going to regret ever having invited the world to visit. They are unprepared for the scrutiny they are about to receive worldwide. They will try to control that scrutiny by limiting reporters' access to certain areas, but then the reporters will report that their access has been limited. Inevitably, several will gain access to areas they are not supposed to see and will broadcast to the world. What will China do when Tibetan monks or members of Falun Gong fill Tiananmen Square in protest? Will China let them protest in front of live video cameras, or will they arrest them? What if Falun Gong members then light themselves on fire in front of the world? What happens when a prominent Chinese citizen is interviewed and stands up to his government? This is going to get wildly out of control for China, and their reaction may dictate their future.

That said, I am more torn on the idea of boycotting the Olympics. I think it is better that the US attend, despite the human rights issues in China. The US presence simply adds to the magnifying glass China will be under. It enhances the media presence and US interest in the games. Furthermore, China is on the path to becoming a superpower. They will get there with or without our say so. I find it critical to befriend them now, and be a helping hand that guides them in the right direction. Alienation comes at a heavy price, too heavy. Certainly that doesn't mean ignoring what China is doing and has done, but a boycott is a heavy hammer that may smash our relations into pieces that can't be put back together.

As for the president attending, I think he should be bringing pressure to bear on the Chinese to address Tibet and human rights issues right now. China is desperate for good media, and they must know that if Tibet isn't addressed now, the scrutiny is only going to grow. They could respond to Bush's non-public requests. If they don't, Bush will be in a tough spot, and I am not convinced on the merits of attending the opening ceremonies v boycotting them just yet.
I see. Appeasement. Thanks for playing.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If I boycott MikeWaters, will that result in him not trolling anymore?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Just like bombing a crowded marketplace gets a lot of media attention. The ends don't always justify the means.

Hold rallies, do interviews with the media. There are plenty of ways to advance your cause that don't involve attacking innocent people.

Says the guy with a shirtless man as his avatar.

Hmm.
I pray you aren't comparing a bombing in a marketplace to assaulting the torch bearer. They aren't out to hurt the guy holding the torch. Quite clearly, they are after the torch itself. It is a small act, but it is having huge repercussions, and I absolutely respect those protesters for their acts.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote