cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #21
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
To what are you referring? My assertion that you are a sexist, which you admitted. Or is it my assertion that the WNBA is on ESPN and BYU is not, which is also true.
The assertion that the WNBA gets better ratings on ESPN than BYU did.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
The assertion that the WNBA gets better ratings on ESPN than BYU did.
You were talking about that still? I am so passed that. Let it go.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #23
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You were talking about that still? I am so passed that. Let it go.
Nice. From now on I'll start stating made-up facts and not bothering to provide a source for them. If someone calls me on it, I'll say I'm pulling a YOhio.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree with this post. I'm no fan of the WNBA, but I do agree that the size of BYU's national fan base is mythical.
National fan base, maybe. But regional fan base ain't bad ... 15-25K at the UCLA game.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Nice. From now on I'll start stating made-up facts and not bothering to provide a source for them. If someone calls me on it, I'll say I'm pulling a YOhio.
I'm flattered, but I'd prefer that sexists not invoke my name for their ill purposes. Go SHOCK!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #26
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are there so many haters of the WBNA? I totally have your back YOhio (though we disagree on a variety of topics from fashion, metrosexualism, your stalking attitude, etc.) on this in that the WNBA is misunderstood and underappreciated.

From what I have heard, ESPN keeps the WNBA on air because the ratings are actually much better than they show up in Nielsen ratings. ESPN has a large spreadsheet that shows how the numbers are underestimated because large numbers of women and men in gay bars are not being counted in the official totals. ESPN actually figures the ratings to be 2.0 to 2.4 times higher than the reported number taking this fact into the equation. That is why, even with the low reported ratings, the WNBA will continue to be on ESPN even in primetime for years to come.

I think the Y fan that tries to compare its school's ESPN ratings with those of the WNBA is myopic at best.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
though we disagree on a variety of topics from fashion, metrosexualism, your stalking attitude.
OMG! Me stalking you? Don't flatter yourself you Mario Lopez wannabe.

As to the rest of your points, I'm impressed. You have shown yourself to be incredibly astute when evaluating quality sports entertainment. The WNBA has long been vilified by closeted and self-loathing homosexuals who fear that beautiful women actually have something to contribute to the world. Fortunately ESPN and her sister stations have seen beyond the hate and have realized what a cash cow the WNBA can be. One of the worst days of my life was when the Starzz left Utah. The state still hasn't recovered.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
UteStar

Quote:
OMG! Me stalking you? Don't flatter yourself you Mario Lopez wannabe.
Lets be honest, there are a lot of Mario Lopez wannabes.

In regards to the Starzz, it is kinda sad. After years of Stockton and Malone and that same old style, the Starzz come to town and bring some attitude and excitement to basketball, but for whatever reason, the general population of SLC and Provo were just not ready for it. That is sad. My personal opinion is that it has some things to do with members of the Mormon church feeling uncomfortable in women excelling and often exceeding men. As you know, our religious city still has problems with women stepping out into a 'mans' world. But, I guess that argument is best served up in the religion topic.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Lets be honest, there are a lot of Mario Lopez wannabes.

In regards to the Starzz, it is kinda sad. After years of Stockton and Malone and that same old style, the Starzz come to town and bring some attitude and excitement to basketball, but for whatever reason, the general population of SLC and Provo were just not ready for it. That is sad. My personal opinion is that it has some things to do with members of the Mormon church feeling uncomfortable in women excelling and often exceeding men. As you know, our religious city still has problems with women stepping out into a 'mans' world. But, I guess that argument is best served up in the religion topic.
Not to live in the past, but do you remember when Jeff Hornacek and Natalie Williams won the All-Star 2Ball challenge in 2000? Those were the days. To be honest, I think Natalie outshined Jeff on the court that day.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #30
UteStar

Quote:
Not to live in the past, but do you remember when Jeff Hornacek and Natalie Williams won the All-Star 2Ball challenge in 2000? Those were the days. To be honest, I think Natalie outshined Jeff on the court that day.
It is hard to compare those two, but I will agree that Natalie looked better than Horny that day. However, if you do try and compare those two, its hard because Horny may have been a slightly better shooter but Natalie was tougher physically.

Lets just say that if you had a one on one game between the two, it would be a hard fought game which, to be honest, I am not sure who would come out on top. I guess the only sure winners of that contest would be the fans who would have gotten the treat of watching them play.