cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More incompetence at Homeland Security

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...puter_security
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has there ever been a government agency in history under any administration that has worked perfectly?

Take any organization, scrutinize it and I will bet you will find they have ongoing problems that they are constantly dealing with.

Government agencies by their very nature are going to malfunction. That is why the less government in our lives the better.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was expecting at least a Homeland SSecurity or Homeland 卐ecurity.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I was expecting at least a Homeland SSecurity or Homeland 卐ecurity.
State Security is what it should now be called, SS for short. Alberto Gonzales has already said he wants a bill passed that would have them investigate cases of "attempted" copyright infringement. So what the hell does an agency created to fight terrorist threats have to do with enforcing copyright law? Just another example of the US government trying to increase its power over its citizens.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

One wonders in retrospect if there wasn't some wisdom in the Bush Administration's original reluctance to create another federal agency.

But alas, it was politically unpopular not to do so.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
One wonders in retrospect if there wasn't some wisdom in the Bush Administration's original reluctance to create another federal agency.

But alas, it was politically unpopular not to do so.
I don't see the relationship and I don't remember the reluctance. I was reluctant and loathe the unPatriot Act. Homeland Security is a joke.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't see the relationship and I don't remember the reluctance. I was reluctant and loathe the unPatriot Act. Homeland Security is a joke.
I think their argument was, more bureaucracy isn't always better (or safer). But the Dems were pushing the bill hard and were prepping a "Bush doesn't want to make us safer" line of attack, so they caved and agreed to the DHS. I think the 9/11 commission recommended it too. Eventually Bush fully embraced it and touted his record on its creation.

I think it was a mistake.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike's just highlighting one of the many problems caused by Bush's policy of making agency appointments of people who are not competent to fill that role - instead, he's seen those appointments as a reward for political supporters. As a consequence, the agencies are not operating competently.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Mike's just highlighting one of the many problems caused by Bush's policy of making agency appointments of people who are not competent to fill that role - instead, he's seen those appointments as a reward for political supporters. As a consequence, the agencies are not operating competently.
I actually laughed out loud reading this. I can only conclude you've never seen gov't agencies close up, under any administration.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I actually laughed out loud reading this. I can only conclude you've never seen gov't agencies close up, under any administration.
Glad I could amuse you.

I guess you missed the point and will never get it.

Incompetence is a running theme with the agencies within the Bush administration. I see it as a result of the way Bush sees agency appointments - as a reward for political favors. Here's a post I made about the issue a year and a half ago.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1425531

I'm just shocked that there has continued to be incompetence within the Bush administration.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote