cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #61
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think the church is doing to address the priesthood ban exactly what it does to address polygamy - "we don't practice it anymore, so you can't ask us about it."
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #62
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You were born in the wrong era, Tex. You could have made a solid career defending slavery. On biblical grounds.
I think you still have a solid career ahead of you as an attorney. You excel at lampooning caricatures of my opinions. I suppose I should find it comforting that it's all the powder you have remaining.

EDIT: In that spirit, let me ask you a question. Were the prophet today to come out and support the re-institution of slavery, how would you respond? What if he personally asked you to be involved with it? What if he brought you into a room with another person (black or otherwise) who was there of his or her own choice, put your hand on theirs and told you, "the Lord wants this person to be your property"?

Last edited by Tex; 05-10-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Adding a question.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #63
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
EDIT: In that spirit, let me ask you a question. Were the prophet today to come out and support the re-institution of slavery, how would you respond? What if he personally asked you to be involved with it?
Frankly, I'm more interested in your answer to that question.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #64
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you still have a solid career ahead of you as an attorney. You excel at lampooning caricatures of my opinions. I suppose I should find it comforting that it's all the powder you have remaining.

EDIT: In that spirit, let me ask you a question. Were the prophet today to come out and support the re-institution of slavery, how would you respond? What if he personally asked you to be involved with it? What if he brought you into a room with another person (black or otherwise) who was there of his or her own choice, put your hand on theirs and told you, "the Lord wants this person to be your property"?

Also, he would call to you with the sign "do your duty" at the precise moment he wanted you to unveil your support of slavery.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #65
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere eh Tex?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #66
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Frankly, I'm more interested in your answer to that question.
I'm not certain any person could say how they'd react given such a choice until they were actually faced with it. I'm persuaded it would rank as the most serious spiritual crisis of my life.

One thing I'm certain of: I would not approach it with the cavalier attitude that Lebowski sneeringly suggested of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere eh Tex?
It would seem that for Lebowski, it is.

Last edited by Tex; 05-10-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Add response to SteelBlue.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #67
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you still have a solid career ahead of you as an attorney.
Be careful. That's a compliment in these parts.

Quote:
You excel at lampooning caricatures of my opinions.
You keep lobbing up softballs. I just can't help myself.

Quote:
That's an absurd hypothetical. But if you want to play that game, here is an interesting one for you: What would you do if the prophet personally asked you to act as his spokesman and announce to the world that there is no God and that religion is a sham?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #68
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anything Tex wouldn't do, if the right person asked?

Even Michael Savage blanches when he reads Tex's opinions.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #69
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's an absurd hypothetical. But if you want to play that game, here is an interesting one for you: What would you do if the prophet personally asked you to act as his spokesman and announce to the world that there is no God and that religion is a sham?
Indeed. About as absurd as me lobbying for slavery.

I find it amusing how each thread turns unwittingly into a Tex-bashing party. I don't remember attacking any of you, but .... oh well.

It's hard to be the sole voice of reason, I suppose.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #70
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

For me, it would require an angel with a flaming sword.

I would not follow a prophet who supported slavery, torture, pedophilia, or any other inherently evil practice.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote