cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luau, anyone?

Mike called me last night to tell me he had procured a wild pig carcass. He wants to bury it in his parent's backyard over Christmas and cook it kalua style.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Has anyone actually done this? Has Alton Brown done a show on it?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Mike called me last night to tell me he had procured a wild pig carcass. He wants to bury it in his parent's backyard over Christmas and cook it kalua style.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Has anyone actually done this? Has Alton Brown done a show on it?
How does one 'procure' a wild/feral pig carcass?

I have participated in doing this before. Big hole, big fire on big rocks, lots of Ti leaves and leave it for a day or so. It is really good.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

I have participated in doing this before. Big hole, big fire on big rocks, lots of Ti leaves and leave it for a day or so. It is really good.

It is good but a hell of a lot of work. And messy.

There was an undeveloped lot in our neighborhood, across from a family, or families of Hawaiians. Needeless to say, they had ready made pits across the street which has seen many years of usage. It made for a somewhat amusing view to see the new lot owner look strangely at the decaded carcasses and remnants of many kalua pig and other burnt offerings.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

One of my very dearest friends from high school went to Harvard.

After his first year, he wanted to prove that he hadn't lost touch with the rest of us pathetic non-Ivy losers, so he hosted an old-fashioned pig roast.

It was great! I don't, however, know anything more useful about it than that.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

That's it. We usually wrapped it in chicken wire to keep it from falling apart though too when doing a full pig. It's quite a bit of work.

Dig a bit the size of your pig, usually a couple feet deep. Build a large fire with hardwood according to your taste, think smoking, inside the pit. You want porous rocks, like lava rock. Line the entire pit with these rocks. You'll want ti leaves or banana leaves to line the entire pit once the rocks are nice and hot. Then a second layer of ti leaves as this will be what touches the pig. Remember green leaves. It's the steam from the moisture in the green leaves that will help cook and flavor the meat. Then set the pig. More ti leaves. Then usually a tapa cloth covers the rest. Make sure it covers the pit entirely because the dirt excavated from the pit goes on next.

You want to remove all the hair from the pig before hand and gut it of course. We'd usually hang em and let all the blood out too before hand. Then a nice rock salt rub over the skin and the inside. Also some of the hot rocks from the pit are placed in the gut to help cook it from the inside out too.

Steaming time varies, but usually most of the day, 8 hours or so. In Hawaii we'd eat the whole time and party while the imu is going.

To be honest with a wild pig I would probably smoke it instead. They usually have a nice gamier taste that smoking compliments well, probably better than cooking it in an imu.

Good luck.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Here's a nice write up with pics:

http://www.primitiveways.com/Imu1.html

Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
That's it. We usually wrapped it in chicken wire to keep it from falling apart though too when doing a full pig. It's quite a bit of work.

Dig a bit the size of your pig, usually a couple feet deep. Build a large fire with hardwood according to your taste, think smoking, inside the pit. You want porous rocks, like lava rock. Line the entire pit with these rocks. You'll want ti leaves or banana leaves to line the entire pit once the rocks are nice and hot. Then a second layer of ti leaves as this will be what touches the pig. Remember green leaves. It's the steam from the moisture in the green leaves that will help cook and flavor the meat. Then set the pig. More ti leaves. Then usually a tapa cloth covers the rest. Make sure it covers the pit entirely because the dirt excavated from the pit goes on next.

You want to remove all the hair from the pig before hand and gut it of course. We'd usually hang em and let all the blood out too before hand. Then a nice rock salt rub over the skin and the inside. Also some of the hot rocks from the pit are placed in the gut to help cook it from the inside out too.

Steaming time varies, but usually most of the day, 8 hours or so. In Hawaii we'd eat the whole time and party while the imu is going.

To be honest with a wild pig I would probably smoke it instead. They usually have a nice gamier taste that smoking compliments well, probably better than cooking it in an imu.

Good luck.
I forgot about the eating and partying while it is cooking part. That is essential. Surfah has the right recipe here; I just hope Mike shares when it is done.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
Here's a nice write up with pics:

http://www.primitiveways.com/Imu1.html

Excellent site. The Maoris in the Rotorua area (and elsewhere where there was thermal activity) used to use thermal vents (geysers and mud pots, etc.) to cook meat with steam and heat.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Here's an imu alternative. My parents get asked to do luau's from time to time and this is what they do if they can't get a pig or have an imu to kalua the pig in. It's not bad, but despite some of the comments, it's not better or as good as roasting in an imu.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kalua-p...er/detail.aspx

They've also wrapped it in ti leaves and then slow cooked it as well, especially if they are preparing lau lau too.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
It's not bad, but despite some of the comments, it's not better or as good as roasting in an imu.
Let me second this statement. My wife is polynesian and from the begining of our relatiohship I had a lot of pork that was slow-cooked but never had pork cooked in the ground until several years after we were married when we were at a family reunion in New Zealand. Let me say that the difference was astonishing. The pork cooked in the imu (although that is not what the maoris called it, but I can't remeber their word) was MUCH better than slow-cooked pork. It was amazing how tender and moist it was. As much work as the imu is, it is worht it.