cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Russia and Georgia

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/wo...hp&oref=slogin

It's kind of interesting isn't it, that we put Saddam Hussein in the category of so evil, that war was necessary, while at the same time declaring that Putin was a great man, because it was apparent by looking into his eyes.

Also, this is when you have to rely on news from sources like the NYTimes, because they are among the only US media companies that actually invest in foreign reporting.

You may hate the NYTimes politics, but they are a valued service to a people who really don't appreciate that service.

Like UtahDan said, Americans really don't care about what is going on in the world, just about who is fucking whom.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The nytimes reports that we are not doing more for georgia because of our need for russia to help us with Iran.

Anyone else scratching their heads about why we have gone all-in against a guy in a cave in Pakistan while the important enemies gather power and influence. Having a demogogue mental midget in the WH gives me no comfort.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

The united state probably will emerge with a condemning resolution by congress, 10 years later or so.Pretty adequate,i bet.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

And that mental midget is a Texan.

Foreign affairs are difficult. Always have been, always will be, especially when one country is the country the entire world looks to to solve problems.

Perhaps if the rest of the world would carry their weight, the US wouldn't have to make decisions that place US interests at the top of the list.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The nytimes reports that we are not doing more for georgia because of our need for russia to help us with Iran.

Anyone else scratching their heads about why we have gone all-in against a guy in a cave in Pakistan while the important enemies gather power and influence. Having a demogogue mental midget in the WH gives me no comfort.
The dude in the cave killed 3,000 Americans. How many Americans has Putin killed?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/wo...hp&oref=slogin

It's kind of interesting isn't it, that we put Saddam Hussein in the category of so evil, that war was necessary, while at the same time declaring that Putin was a great man, because it was apparent by looking into his eyes.

Also, this is when you have to rely on news from sources like the NYTimes, because they are among the only US media companies that actually invest in foreign reporting.

You may hate the NYTimes politics, but they are a valued service to a people who really don't appreciate that service.

Like UtahDan said, Americans really don't care about what is going on in the world, just about who is fucking whom.
The NYT does, in fact, still have the best international page, period.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Heartbreaking.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4500362.ece
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Anyone else scratching their heads about why we have gone all-in against a guy in a cave in Pakistan while the important enemies gather power and influence.
Anyone else scratching their heads about the complete lack of response of the EU and NATO? Why does NATO even exist, if they're not going to convene and provide a joint position on an armed conflict in Europe? This conflict is on the Eastern fringe of their own continent, with a county who is trying to join their ranks - in both NATO and the EU.

That's right...When there are problems in Central and Eastern Europe they wait for the US to take the leadership position, and then we have to try and convince the rest of Europe to go along for the ride.

Should the US take a leadership position is trying to stop this conflict? Yes. But whatever the plan entails, it will be met by criticism in European capitals, which at this moment are doing nothing for one of THIER neighbors.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait...hold on one second...This just in from NATO...

Quote:
The NATO Secretary General, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, is seriously concerned about the events that are taking place in the Georgian region of South Ossetia and said that the Alliance is closely following the situation.

The Secretary General calls on all sides for an immediate end of the armed clashes and direct talks between the parties.
http://www.nato.int/docu/pr/2008/p08-100e.html

I can hear the Russian tanks rolling back now.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I certainly looks as if this is more than just protecting Russians in So. Ossetia, but rather a full blown attempt to take down the pro-US Georgian government.

But what should the U.S. do? What can the U.S. do? Besides stronger condemnation from the get-go. (Bush living it up in Beijing while a loyal member of the "coalition of the willing" is gettin' the shit kicked out of them was bad form, to put it mildly).

Dick Morris (who I can't stand) had an interesting idea: tell the Russians to back off or we'll give Ukraine NATO membership. But then again, what if Ukraine or Georgia had NATO membership and Russia still attacked - would we be willing to go to war? I don't think I would. I'm uncomfortable with NATO right up to Russia's border for that reason.