cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warren Buffett creating a ruckus

He has come forward and said that his receptionist pays about 33% of income as tax, and that he pays close to half that at 18%.

He has challenged the richest men in America, saying that if one can come forward and demonstrate that he pays a higher percentage than his receptionist, that he will donate $1 million to the charity of his/her choice.

So the media is contacting all those tycoons.

Not a single one has come forward, all have declined to comment. It's crickets, baby.

Warren Buffet doesn't think it's right that the richest Americans pay less tax, proportionally, than those that are not rich.

Yes, I know many of the poorest don't pay income taxes, after refund, but still I admire Buffet stirring things up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He has come forward and said that his receptionist pays about 33% of income as tax, and that he pays close to half that at 18%.

He has challenged the richest men in America, saying that if one can come forward and demonstrate that he pays a higher percentage than his receptionist, that he will donate $1 million to the charity of his/her choice.

Not a single one has come forward, all have declined to comment. It's crickets, baby.

Warren Buffet doesn't think it's right that the richest Americans pay less tax, proportionally, than those that are not rich.

Yes, I know many of the poorest don't pay income taxes, after refund, but still I admire Buffet stirring things up.
71 said if he made any more dollars, they'd be taxed at 45%. I was surprised by that but didn't challenge him. He's smart enough to know how to hide his income. My view of the tax world is probably more like Buffet's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

(Buffet_Income * 0.18) - (Receptionist_Income * 0.33) = ???
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
ah yes, many conservatives are upset when they find out that the so-called "flat tax" actually proposes a flat rate, instead of a flat amount.

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Funny stuff, Indy.

I am sure buffet_income*0.18 >>> receptionist_income*1.00. So what?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

No one? Do you have a list of whom he sent it to? Buffet is unique because he's taxed capital gains, not income tax. That's why he pays so low. It's hard to believe Gates pays <18%.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

ABC contacted at least 40 or so they said.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
No one? Do you have a list of whom he sent it to? Buffet is unique because he's taxed capital gains, not income tax. That's why he pays so low. It's hard to believe Gates pays <18%.
Corporations can't dodge taxes, so I'm sure Gates through Microsoft pays more taxes than anyone.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:

First of all if his receptionist is paying 33% she is very well paid compared to our receptionist. Actually we had to lay her off to cut administrative overhead costs, but before that, I think she was making in the low 20s for 1.0 FTE. I suppose her eventual Federal Income Tax rate depends on what her husband was making, but that salary alone she'd hardly pay any tax (depending on kids, etc).

Warren Buffet pays a low rate from getting a ton of income from long term capital gains, is my guess, and being the CEO he probably gets a lot of perks (car, travel, etc) paid by Berkshire-Hathaway that his receptionist doesn't. I no longer can figure out the tax rate, I just fill in all the info, w2 income, short/long cap gains, dividends, etc and have to let the software figure it out. It does tell me at the end what our flat tax rate would have been (tax/unadjusted gross), and its usually around 15%, if I recall correctly. If I want a guesstimate as far as planning what to put in the 401k I always ballpark the marginal rate (Fed+State) at at least one-third. I guess I'm one of those sad-sacks paying the bills for Buffett, Trump, et al. I at least admire Buffett for being a true value investor and not one to chase the latest fad investment vehicle or stock sector.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
jay santos

I figured with the basic deductions I get with five kids, large mortgage, and tithing and then taking down my income with maxed 401K and health care FSA, you don't pay any income tax whatsoever on anything less than 100K income.