cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Egyptian Civilization 10,000-Years Older than Thought?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-E...ht-59648.shtml
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on other posts you've made, I know the spirit you're posting this in.

I don't get your seeming hatred for science and the scientific method. Do you believe that when scientists discover that a previous hypothesis or theory is incorrect, that the scientific method has failed?

It's actually how it's supposed to work, you know.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

That and the article in the OP is completely wrong. The only people who thought the Egyptian civilization started 5000 years ago are creationists, and only because it couldn't have started any earlier for them, what with the universe being created 6000 years ago.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
That and the article in the OP is completely wrong. The only people who thought the Egyptian civilization started 5000 years ago are creationists, and only because it couldn't have started any earlier for them, what with the universe being created 6000 years ago.
What in the article that Tooblue posted led you to this conclusion? IMO, this article is simply too poorly written to allow anyone to reach any sort of conclusion as to what the guy is talking about. It appears that they found some paleolithic rock art that is much older than they have found in Egypt before. Is this the Egyptian 'civilization?' Hard to say. But what's the point you guys are arguing here? I can't see that this poor piece of journalism really helps anyone.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
What in the article that Tooblue posted led you to this conclusion? IMO, this article is simply too poorly written to allow anyone to reach any sort of conclusion as to what the guy is talking about. It appears that they found some paleolithic rock art that is much older than they have found in Egypt before. Is this the Egyptian 'civilization?' Hard to say. But what's the point you guys are arguing here? I can't see that this poor piece of journalism really helps anyone.
Yea I guess that was my point. They grab a number out of the air, and call it the existing estimate for when the egyptian civilization started, then they grab a rough estimate for the age of cave art that seemed egyptian-ish, and call it a big deal. If the only point to all of this is that new evidence changes our perception of things, just ask me and I'll say yes.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
What about the fact that the Pyramids of Giza are aligned as Orion's belt was as of 11,000 BC, rather than 8,000-9,000 years later?

http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/CreightonS2.php?p=4
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What about the fact that the Pyramids of Giza are aligned as Orion's belt was as of 11,000 BC, rather than 8,000-9,000 years later?

Lucky guess.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Hey I didn't know that. That's good stuff. It does align with the number of 11,000 that I had in my head for the start of egyptian civilization, but I don't know where I got that, nor do I know if that was "ago" or "BC" It's not really my field. I did learn not too long ago that the stones that make up the pyramids were very likely casted. That goes against the alien theories.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
The title of the article and this thread is highly misleading. The article discusses an unremarkable event for scientists. They discover something new in the archeological or fossil record that causes a greater understanding of prehistoric humans and their long circuitous trek to humans that wrote, built cities, etc. It actually doesn't appear this new information contradicts anything previously established, only helps to round out our understanding of prehistoric humans in the area of present day Egypt. But the article's title suggests that the highly developed Egyptian culture with pyramids and pharoahs we think of as ancient Egypt is 10,000 years older than we thought, which isn't what the article is about, nor what the recent discovery tells us.

Since tooblue's point is premised on this highly misleading title he fails to make his point. We do know with a fair degree of precision the age of the Egyptian culture depicted in the OT. What a curious belief for a devout Mormon--there's no such thing as truth. It's nonsense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Based on other posts you've made, I know the spirit you're posting this in.

I don't get your seeming hatred for science and the scientific method. Do you believe that when scientists discover that a previous hypothesis or theory is incorrect, that the scientific method has failed?

It's actually how it's supposed to work, you know.
It's not the inarticulate softpedia article I found fascinating -it's the "Lascaux on the Nile" statement that occupies my imagination.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote