cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I agree with Gman

BM/Anae should have kept Unga running, even after 17-0. It was a terrible mistake not to. Unga is a man among boys (notice earlier I compared him to Asiat AND Mack), probably the best player in the MWC. 17-0 fifteen seconds into the second quarter is too early to put that guy on the shelf. Let him carry to the team to the end zone in a long drive, even if it eats up most of the second quarter, and all of a sudden it's 17-7 and a whole new game. Bad coaching.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, running more is always the solution when you lose a game.

1. Our defense wasn't going to stop TCU enough for it to make a difference
2. TCU's defense is too good to run consistently enough against
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

So we should have thrown the ball more? Especially with double coverage on Pitta and Collie for a good portion of the night?

With Unga and our offensive line, I strongly feel that we should run the ball more. Yes, we have talented players at other skill positions (Reed, Pitta, Collie) but if we can establish a running game early and force teams to bring 8 in the box, that should create one-on-one opportunities and mismatches for those other guys.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Have you considered that if BYU ran the ball it would have opened things up for the receivers, and one reason TCU's offense appeared so formidable is they weren't worrying about the run?

I don't understand this reasoning, "TCU beat us at their place 32-7 so TCU must be a lot better than us." BYU could have reversed the score on their own field with a smarter game plan. You see reversals like this all the time with NFL teams who play home and home, have the luxery of a second bite at the apple and opportunity to adjust.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-21-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
BM/Anae should have kept Unga running, even after 17-0. It was a terrible mistake not to. Unga is a man among boys (notice earlier I compared him to Asiat AND Mack), probably the best player in the MWC. 17-0 fifteen seconds into the second quarter is too early to put that guy on the shelf. Let him carry to the team to the end zone in a long drive, even if it eats up most of the second quarter, and all of a sudden it's 17-7 and a whole new game. Bad coaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Have you considered that if BYU ran the ball it would have opened things up for the receivers, and one reason TCU's offense appeared so formidable is they weren't worrying about the run?

I don't understand this reasoning, "TCU beat us at their place 32-7 so TCU must be a lot better than us." BYU could have reversed the score on their own field with a smarter game plan. You see reversals like this all the time with NFL teams who play home and home, have the luxery of a second bite at the apple and opportunity to adjust.
STOP SUCKING UP TO BYU FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your problem?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

All those that have never heard about this concept before, please excuse yourslef from the forum immediately.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
All those that have never heard about this concept before, please excuse yourslef from the forum immediately.
I am only a football fan. I dont have a grasp on the game itself, so I actually appreciated SeattleUte's commentary.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

TCU's defense provides some unfavorable matchups for BYU, and vice versa with TCU's offense throwing in some wrinkles at BYU's defense that they weren't ready for. Things like TCU having an offensive line that was able to give their QB enough time to find receivers open downfield (and a QB capable of hitting an open WR). The WR they put in the backfield had enough speed to beat LBers, and with a look that BYU wasn't ready for, it certainly caught them off guard.

Defensively, TCU was able to put enough pressure on the QB with only 4 guys, something nobody has been able to do all year. On top of that, they have athletes who are good enough to man up with receivers on the outside leaving little to no room for error. With the added pressure Hall saw, he needed the room, and it wasn't there.

It was a great game plan by Patterson, he was able to take advantage of quite a few of BYU's weaknesses that nobody else has been able to capitalize on, at least not consistently, and BYU wasn't sure how to respond. I think BYU is capable of beating TCU, and anybody left on their schedule. They do, however, need to be sharper the next time they play a team of that caliber, or they'll risk losing again. Also, don't be surprised to see more teams attacking with the long-ball against Howard. I wouldn't be shocked to see teams starting to put up more points on BYU as the year progresses. I'd wager more shootouts. Hopefully our offense can get its groove back. And I think it starts with Unga.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
STOP SUCKING UP TO BYU FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your problem?
I'm sorry I have to spell it out to you, but all my posts have a subtext of trying to ruin BM's credibility and reputation. Just because. Well, just because I think he's one of those extremely lucky, overrated guys who will ineluctably fall prey to the Peter Principle.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm sorry I have to spell it out to you, but all my posts have a subtext of trying to ruin BM's credibility and reputation. Just because. Well, just because I think he's one of those extremely lucky, overrated guys who will ineluctably fall prey to the Peter Principle.
Cool.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote