cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default My take on the TCU game

While our boys were getting it handed to them I was hanging out in the Soak Zone watching a Shamu show. The next day I was at the SD Zoo watching a mountain lion right before feeding time pace the fence line licking his chops whenever a little kid ran past. Looks like the kitties from Provo are lacking a bit of that killer instinct. Hell, I didn't even know the score until Saturday morning!

Couldn't have picked a better time for a vacation. Hopefully our boys in blue have heard the wake up call and finish strong.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
While our boys were getting it handed to them I was hanging out in the Soak Zone watching a Shamu show. The next day I was at the SD Zoo watching a mountain lion right before feeding time pace the fence line licking his chops whenever a little kid ran past. Looks like the kitties from Provo are lacking a bit of that killer instinct. Hell, I didn't even know the score until Saturday morning!

Couldn't have picked a better time for a vacation. Hopefully our boys in blue have heard the wake up call and finish strong.
but the special season is gone, and only a run of the mill one remains.

My guess is another loss to Utah and maybe a win in a lackluster bowl game. lots of fun.

Let's build for next year, and recruit for the deficiencies.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

My guess is another loss to Utah and maybe a win in a lackluster bowl game. lots of fun.

Yes, it's disappointing, but going into the season I don't think anyone expected an undefeated season. The big win against a lousy uninspired UCLA team probably gave us unrealistic expectations. I've always thought we had a better BCS shot in 09. Same skill players of offense, more experienced defense, TCU and Utah at home...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Yes, it's disappointing, but going into the season I don't think anyone expected an undefeated season. The big win against a lousy uninspired UCLA team probably gave us unrealistic expectations. I've always thought we had a better BCS shot in 09. Same skill players of offense, more experienced defense, TCU and Utah at home...
I would not have bet for a perfect season, but it was all coming together. And to lose what would have been a perfect season makes the rest of the season hollow.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My take on the TCU game

It really, really sucked.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Venkman

Quote:
I would not have bet for a perfect season, but it was all coming together. And to lose what would have been a perfect season makes the rest of the season hollow.
I had decided after UNM that we probably wouldn't go undefeated. Mentally, I was prepared for another Vegas Bowl. The TCU game score surprised me a bit, but the outcome didn't.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
I had decided after UNM that we probably wouldn't go undefeated. Mentally, I was prepared for another Vegas Bowl. The TCU game score surprised me a bit, but the outcome didn't.
i don't like the mental make up of this team. Not enough ferocity on defense and no go to leader type on offense.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

11-1 sounds run of the mill to me. How many times has BYU finished a season with only one loss?

Yes, a Vegas Bowl birth isn't overly special, but looking back even 3 years ago, I was thrilled being conference champs and Vegas bound. Plus, if we can win out (and Utah can beat TCU) there is still an outside shot at a meaningful game. The season isn't over... just the perfect season.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
11-1 sounds run of the mill to me. How many times has BYU finished a season with only one loss?

Yes, a Vegas Bowl birth isn't overly special, but looking back even 3 years ago, I was thrilled being conference champs and Vegas bound. Plus, if we can win out (and Utah can beat TCU) there is still an outside shot at a meaningful game. The season isn't over... just the perfect season.

Besides, this year wasn't supposed to be BYU's year to break the BCS anyway. It just became that when the pre-season hype started rolling in.