cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 AM   #21
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

When he was campaigning in Massachusetts in 1994, he made repeated assertions that he would work toward gay marriage and that he believed this was an issue protected by states rights. I can use my handy dandy librarian skills to pull the quotes if you wish.

But come on, here. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to debate Romney with a board full of Mormon Republicans?

My original point was merely that if *I* were an opponent, and if *I* wanted to launch a mud-slinging campaign against Romney, I don't think attacking his faith would be the intelligent or effective approach. If there is such thing as an intelligent mudslinging approach.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #22
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
When he was campaigning in Massachusetts in 1994, he made repeated assertions that he would work toward gay marriage and that he believed this was an issue protected by states rights. I can use my handy dandy librarian skills to pull the quotes if you wish.

But come on, here. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to debate Romney with a board full of Mormon Republicans?

My original point was merely that if *I* were an opponent, and if *I* wanted to launch a mud-slinging campaign against Romney, I don't think attacking his faith would be the intelligent or effective approach. If there is such thing as an intelligent mudslinging approach.
Is it the most ethical approach? No. The most Christian approach? No. But effective? my guess is that it will be rather effective.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Every day I'm awed by your brilliance.

Seriously though, that's pretty messed up. Did you think of that yourself?
Yes, I did think of that myself.

I believe messed up is more accurate than brilliance. A (warped) mind is a terrible thing to waste, ya know?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Do you really think I'm stupid enough to debate Romney with a board full of Mormon Republicans?
I would discourage you from going to Cougarboard and debating Romney.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I would discourage you from going to Cougarboard and debating Romney.
Nice shot and accurate as well.

For Barbara - go ahead and debate Romney with us. You've more than proven that you belong in our little band of troglodytes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #26
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thank you.

I think the article would also mention that Dearborn is also home of the largest Muslim population in the United States and that Mormons are only slightly less hated than Muslims.
I had a conversation with a muslim gentleman today who told me this very same thing. It gave him great humor to have a point of comisseration between us.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Ted Kennedy played the Religion card perfectly against Romney back in the 90's. Romney was looking good in the polls against old Teddy then Ted and his campaign manager Joe brought the blacks and the priesthood issue out. After two or three days of front page headlines Joe issued a backhanded apology stating something to the effect of "we're sorry, we weren't aware there had been a revelation". It worked perfectly. Romney's poll numbers plummeted and he never got close again in that race.

I fully expect to see this issue brought to the forefront again in this election. It's not that I think it is inappropriate to talk about in a debate about the Mormon faith in general. But it is incredibly inconsistent with how all other candidates are treated. Nobody asks the others about the rapture, Christ returning, their church's civil rights history etc... Why is Romney held personally accountable for the history and doctrines of the Mormon church?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It was controversial in some quarters that Reagan was so backward that he believed in the Second Coming and Armageddon.

They played it like Reagan trying to fulfill his own beliefs with the military buildup.

It's too bad the religious right has to tear down Romney, along with the secularists. Who do they think they are going to get? Brownback?

I hate those evangelists.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Ted Kennedy played the Religion card perfectly against Romney back in the 90's. Romney was looking good in the polls against old Teddy then Ted and his campaign manager Joe brought the blacks and the priesthood issue out. After two or three days of front page headlines Joe issued a backhanded apology stating something to the effect of "we're sorry, we weren't aware there had been a revelation". It worked perfectly. Romney's poll numbers plummeted and he never got close again in that race.

I fully expect to see this issue brought to the forefront again in this election. It's not that I think it is inappropriate to talk about in a debate about the Mormon faith in general. But it is incredibly inconsistent with how all other candidates are treated. Nobody asks the others about the rapture, Christ returning, their church's civil rights history etc... Why is Romney held personally accountable for the history and doctrines of the Mormon church?
I still remember the comment made by Joe "This man is a member of a religion that treats blacks and women as 2nd class citizens".

Why is it that nobody brings up that Papa Kennedy got his money from bootlegging? And why isn't it fair to bring up Chapaquiddick when Ted is campaigning?

Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #30
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I still remember the comment made by Joe "This man is a member of a religion that treats blacks and women as 2nd class citizens".

Why is it that nobody brings up that Papa Kennedy got his money from bootlegging? And why isn't it fair to bring up Chapaquiddick when Ted is campaigning?
People bring up both of these things incessantly. C'mon do you think that the people of the Commonwealth don't already know these things?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote