cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate at least one Zepplin song?
Yes, they are best band of all time, next to Bea... 13 92.86%
No, they are heavy metal freaks of nature who distort the tender listeing aids 0 0%
I'm a nerd and never heard of this heavy metal band 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the best concerts I have been to was Paige/Plant in the E-Center. Paige talked extensively about his prior visit to Salt Lake and playing at the old Salt Palace. Plant rocked out on the guitar and they sounded great. There were a ton of 40-50 year old women dressed in leather showing off their new boobs and being highly touchy with a 18 year old kid. (Paige was unable to hit some of the higher notes)
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
One of the best concerts I have been to was Paige/Plant in the E-Center. Paige talked extensively about his prior visit to Salt Lake and playing at the old Salt Palace. Plant rocked out on the guitar and they sounded great. There were a ton of 40-50 year old women dressed in leather showing off their new boobs and being highly touchy with a 18 year old kid. (Paige was unable to hit some of the higher notes)
My guess is paige never could hit the high niotes, unless you inadvertently reversed the names.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My guess is paige never could hit the high niotes, unless you inadvertently reversed the names.
Ha, ha, yes indeed.

Robert Plant was struggling with his vocals and was unable to hit the higher notes on some of the songs.

For example:

Hey, hey, momma love the way you move....did not sound like it did on the recorded version of the song.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Nope. It was me.

I thought you said he was nice.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I thought you said he was nice.
Past tense, my friend. Past tense.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Can't I have more choices?

Zepplin rocks. Love 'em.

But best band ever = U2.
I'd agree with this if they had stopped after Unforgettable Fire. Then they sold out and tried to be more commercial.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'd agree with this if they had stopped after Unforgettable Fire. Then they sold out and tried to be more commercial.
I think they became better musicians over time. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are both much better albums than UF was (imo of course). I also liked All That You Can't Leave Behind and agree with Rolling Stone calling it their 3rd Masterpiece.

I can understand why some of you guys don't like U2. But they resonate with me. Maybe I'm just a simple guy, but I'm amazed at the volume of listenable, legitimately good music they've produced. They are one of the all time great bands, and they are my personal favorite.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think they became better musicians over time. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are both much better albums than UF was (imo of course). I also liked All That You Can't Leave Behind and agree with Rolling Stone calling it their 3rd Masterpiece.

I can understand why some of you guys don't like U2. But they resonate with me. Maybe I'm just a simple guy, but I'm amazed at the volume of listenable, legitimately good music they've produced. They are one of the all time great bands, and they are my personal favorite.
I think they are the best band today. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is rapidly turning into one of my favorite albums of all time (though Achtung Baby is still my favorite U2 album).

Best band ever=The Beatles.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post

I like U2. I just prefer their older stuff. I was at Sun Devil Stadium when they were shooting film for Rattle and Hum. That was one of my favorite shows of all time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:18 AM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Best band ever=The Beatles.
I understand why most people feel this way. They had 3 of their 4 guys who were talented enough to front their own band/go solo and be wildly successful. What are the odds that you could find 4 guys with that amount of talent in one city. It's truly amazing. (I may be giving Ringo too much credit here, I'm not sure). The sheer volume of hits these guys cranked out is mind boggling. How can that much creativity come from 4 guys? Add to that the influence they have had on everyone who has come after and you just have to give them title of best band ever. I don't even think there is a close second.

That being said, there are a lot of other bands I'd rather listen to most of the time. I am too young to have been shocked and awed by their emergence. I enjoy almost all of their songs, but would have a hard time popping them into the cd player with frequency. Listening to the Beatles is like a history lesson in Rock and Roll now. Informative, entertaining, and enjoyable but it definitely feels like history.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 10-12-2006 at 05:24 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote