cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default Review of "Superman"

The movie was a lot of fun. Opening night is always a great experience when a movie appeals to a broad fan base, as Superman does. Costumes, hoots and hollers, cheers and jeers, and the collective excitement was worth the price of admission on its own.

The movie wasn't perfect by any means. The plot was merely sufficient, and there were some great opportunities for character development that were either missed, overlooked, or simply turned down. Two important themes, the lack of a sense of belonging (as demonstrated in X-Men, for example) and the sacrifice of a way of life in order to serve the public (admirably displayed by Spider-man, which had a great trailer before the opening) were merely hinted at. The most important character theme in the movie is of a perfect being whose compassion for the people lead him to become the world's savior-- but after letting this one out to breathe, it is put back in the bag just as quickly, as though Brian Singer was worried about offending somebody with the very clearly Christian theme. Kevin Spacey is very good as Lex Luthor, and could have stolen the show, given half a chance. The movie could have gotten much higher marks in these aspects.

The heart and soul of the movie, however, was nostalgia, and for this, "Superman Returns" gets full credit. Yeah, we all knew it was only a matter of time before the big guy was going to enter stage right and save the world-- but after all, that's what we were there to see, and he didn't disappoint. Superman was back on the big screen, just like we remembered him, complete with the curled lock of hair on his forehead. John Williams's theme, which is as much a part of Superman's identity as the shield, was featured from start to finish-- even the love theme could be heard in selected scenes. (And, by the way, Kate Boswell... I heartily approve.) For a generation that was raised on Superman and had gone so long without seeing arguably America's most beloved hero in anything but a telivision mini-series, the nostalgic throwback was a thrill.

The movie will be best enjoyed if you can make it to a showing during the opening week, with an enthusiastic crowd. Be willing to overlook a few flaws, but overall, a very fun experience.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the relationship like between Clark and Lois? Was she always a jerk to him? She seemed extremely cold to him in the movie.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

<<***SPOILER***>>

He left her without saying a word...for five years...while she was prego with his child...... I would be ticked too.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
<<***SPOILER***>>

He left her without saying a word...for five years...while she was prego with his child...... I would be ticked too.
Talk about a twisted sense of ethics and morality!
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

We saw it last night. The thing that struck me the most was how Brandon Routh looked and sounded like Christopher Reeve. His speech inflections, his mannerisims, his general look...several times I caught myself being amazed at the similarities. Routh wasn't required to do much acting, just some general geekiness as Clark whereas Superman hardly said anything. It appeared to me that the studio hired a lookalike/soundalike of Christopher Reeve. I don't know that it detracted from the movie but I did catch myself thinking about it more than once.

Kevin Spacey was marvelous - by far the best acting performance in the movie. He was very convincing as an evil genius with a definite sadistic streak.

The plot for the most part held together ok, although there were a few things that were unexplained and were left to the audience to guess.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. A good balance of dialogue and action.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Talk about a twisted sense of ethics and morality!
Superman didn't know she was pregnant.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Superman didn't know she was pregnant.
Did it ever occur to anyone that Superman was the victim here? Perhaps Lois had some kryptonite and used it to take advantage of him in his weakened state.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

How can anybody who has been through the process of impregnating Kate Boswell be considered a victim?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Victimize me Kate, victimize me.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Victimize me Kate, victimize me.