cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #51
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
What the hell is a "strong" president in war time or any other time? I want my president to follow the Constitution. We can argue about whether he is or not.
Yeah, so? That's like telling a roomful of Christian denominations that you want them to follow the Bible.

Let me make it a little more clear for you: I support a broad interpretation of the constitutional powers of the president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Millions? I thought Tex was one of a kind. Please in the future, put a caveat of potential horror content in your posts.
We are legion. And will haunt your dreams.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What if a presient pardoned all crimes ever committed in America, as well as all future crimes ever committed in America?

Would that be constitutional?

I think SCOTUS would rule that the pardon has to be for a specific person for a specific crime. With submitted paperwork. And all signatures attached.
Look, this isn't an argument to be had in a vacuum. Pardons have been issued in the past for unidentified crimes, and they seem to be perfectly legal (based on case law).

Here is the text of Ford's pardon of Nixon, for example:

"Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9,1974."

Pretty darn broad. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see something similar for Cheney, Rice, even Bush himself. Bush pardoning himself is a bit less necessary, as the courts already give him a healthy dose of immunity for official acts undertaken while in office. He may view it as a belt and suspenders kind of deal, though.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

President pardoning himself.
http://www.slate.com/id/1002012/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #54
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
If Bush pardons himself and staff it will set a truly horrible precedent: do whatever the hell you want as an aministration -- break laws as much as you want and trample on the Constitution and then pardon yourself when you're done. That's the kind of crap third world dictators would pull. And no, Tex, I'm not saying anything about what Bush, Cheney and their people did or didn't do. I'm just saying a blank check pardon without even anyone being charged with anything would be very bad precedent.
Come now, with all the reasons you already have to not like Bush, there's no reason to get angry about horrible things that he hasn't done.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #55
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

With President Obama now in office, I think we can officially label this thread as a complete overreaction.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote