cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't know what to make of the figures, but I wager every single candidate has similar experiences, including Obama. Remember the OJ trial, one of the expenses the DA charged was 90,000 in clothing and make up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle and Barry with similar contributions to their wardrobe.
It would be difficult, though not impossible, for a man to spend as much.

Obama used to wear the same suit to every appearance. It was embarrassing. He's improved his wardrobe since then. I'm not sure who footed the bill, or what the tab was.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The issue isnt that she spends a lot on clothes. Of course all the other politicians spend cash on clothes.

But she is the only one that runs on a platform of being one of "us," a Joe Six Pack Hockey mom from Main Street USA. A PTA president of SmallTown America that knows what it is like to be rank and file.

Going out and dropping that coin really takes her way out of character and was a huge political mistake.

Like i said, if she had shopped at Target, Middle America would have lionized her, esp during these tougher economic times.

None of the other candidates even pretend to be poor or of modest means. They are running on other platforms.

This is the McCain POW issue all over again. If you whore it out to get elected, it becomes center stage for scrutiny.

If Palin wants to be a hockey mom, she needs to stop dropping a years salary on pantsuits and lipstick.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It would be difficult, though not impossible, for a man to spend as much.

Obama used to wear the same suit to every appearance. It was embarrassing. He's improved his wardrobe since then. I'm not sure who footed the bill, or what the tab was.
Difficult but if somebody wishes to sponsor me I'll give it a go. Mine certainly can use some sponsorship. Michelle on the other hand doesn't look as if she's spared too many pennies.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Difficult but if somebody wishes to sponsor me I'll give it a go. Mine certainly can use some sponsorship. Michelle on the other hand doesn't look as if she's spared too many pennies.
You would probably blow it all on martial arts shoes.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

DDD, as hard as it is to admit, you are correct. She tells us how she is just like us? Seriously, just like us? I can't tell you how many people that I know spend $2000 on their mortgage payment and a couple hundred thousand dollars a year on their clothes.

I also agree with you that if it followed her into Target or just a regular clothing store and she bought that...holy crap, the good will for her would be amazing. Now we find out that if she had the money all along, she will kick the 'common-ness' of her past in the balls and scream 'Charge it on the card...I want everything over there!"

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont think it makes her a bad person. heck, I'd take the free clothes, too.

I am pointing to it as yet another political blunder on her part....or at least the part of her advisors.

Based on your non-response to the issue, I take it that you really have no defense for her egregious behavior? It would be interesting to hear how Repubs can spin this one to make it seem ok.
Egregious behavior is your definition. I consider it part of marketing and if that is how much they think they need to spend on her that is their decision. I am sure in Obama's war chest we could find some pretty egregious spending. Maybe like buying votes somewhere. Of course you wouldn't consider that egregious, you are focused on how much they spend on dressing her.

If you think someone who gets into the political spotlight can remain and act like a "little guy", I have given you far too much credit over the time I have known you on this board.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Going out and dropping that coin really takes her way out of character and was a huge political mistake.
Exactly. How stupid is the McCain campaign/RNC that they thought this would go unnoticed? Hypocrisy is one of the most unforgivable political sins.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I also agree with you that if it followed her into Target or just a regular clothing store and she bought that...holy crap, the good will for her would be amazing.
lol! UteStar buys his clothes at Target! I bet he says Tarjay just to make it sound cool. What an unfashionable person.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
DDD, as hard as it is to admit, you are correct. She tells us how she is just like us? Seriously, just like us? I can't tell you how many people that I know spend $2000 on their mortgage payment and a couple hundred thousand dollars a year on their clothes.

I also agree with you that if it followed her into Target or just a regular clothing store and she bought that...holy crap, the good will for her would be amazing. Now we find out that if she had the money all along, she will kick the 'common-ness' of her past in the balls and scream 'Charge it on the card...I want everything over there!"
Amazing how the college educated has to have everything spelled out for them. No wonder the media leads them astray. Just like us means she hasn't been in the Washington-NewYork elite center.

Anyone with half a brain would realize she doesn't mean just like us. She is the governor of a state and awfully good lookin.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I find this story interesting.....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

Palin spending about $150K on clothes since August, all on the RNC dime....at high brow places like Needless Markup and SFA.

Hardly fits in with her phony Joe Six Pack persona she wants everyone to embrace.

How many hockey moms spend that kind of scratch in a year, let alone 8 weeks?

The truth is, you can't really blame her faulty intellect on her backwoods existence when she is shopping at some of the finest retailers in the country. She can't even be a hick without messing that up, too.
SEXISM ALERT. This is a non-issue for the guys.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote