cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Can Satan answer prayers that are offered in LDS temples?
Yes 4 36.36%
No 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can the great imitator penetrate the LDS temples?

Please help with this disagreement.

While Satan can imitate the spirit and answer prayers, I've been taught that we are safe from his influence while inside the temples. I don't recall if I got that notion from a GC talk, a GA book or where.

Meanwhile my buddy says the temple is not the ultimate safe haven, but rather yes Satan can penetrate it, "inspire" your pondering mind, and hear and answer your silent prayers.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I think Satan can enter wherever we grant him access, including in our minds and hearts in the Temple. For example, sometimes I get really inappropriate thoughts in the Temple, most often because I'm worried about thinking such thoughts, and of course the worry causes me to let down my defenses down and the boobs rush in.

But in all seriousness, I don't like this doctrine/teaching. Understanding the language of the Spirit is hard enough to have interference from an imposter jamming up the signal. In fact, I dislike it sufficiently so as to reject it. The only Spirit-imitating imposter are my own feelings, and that's where I find the dilemma: is the source for these feelings internal or external?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really worry about such things.

Maybe I should, but I don't.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Satan's prayer answers are so obvious. "Yes, you should smoke that weed," "you should quit your job and work as a bouncer at a strip club", "don't watch conference on t.v., they print that stuff like a month later and you don't have to listen to the songs, the prayers or the Utah moms."
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Please help with this disagreement.

While Satan can imitate the spirit and answer prayers, I've been taught that we are safe from his influence while inside the temples. I don't recall if I got that notion from a GC talk, a GA book or where.

Meanwhile my buddy says the temple is not the ultimate safe haven, but rather yes Satan can penetrate it, "inspire" your pondering mind, and hear and answer your silent prayers.
Sure, afterall his inverted pentagrams were on the Nauvoo temple.

Last edited by hyrum; 10-14-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fix image
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't really worry about such things.

Maybe I should, but I don't.
I should clarify. I know a number of people, myself included, who acted upon what we thought were answers to prayers, only to have it all blow up in our faces and essentially wreck our lives in a large measure.

As our various file leaders have given counsel of comfort, occasionally the notion is raised that the prayerful direction did not come from God, but from Satan. If that is so, I for one prefer to only seek guidance concerning major decisions now in a "safe place" where I can trust the answer.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I should clarify. I know a number of people, myself included, who acted upon what we thought were answers to prayers, only to have it all blow up in our faces and essentially wreck our lives in a large measure.

As our various file leaders have given counsel of comfort, occasionally the notion is raised that the prayerful direction did not come from God, but from Satan. If that is so, I for one prefer to only seek guidance concerning major decisions now in a "safe place" where I can trust the answer.
If you are asking why answers that felt inspired ended up blowing up in your face, I would think a reply like "it might have been Satan" is pretty glib, and I would ignore the person who said it.

If God's system is such, that spiritual manifestations outside of the temple can't be trusted, then it is a very, very lame system.

If you are asking me if I think the system is very, very lame, I would say no, but I would probably also have to say that it isn't as great and perfect a system as some would believe.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Second guessing the decision to attend the U?
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Jesus showed us the temple isn't a physical tabernacle of brick and mortar. Jesus also taught that temples of brick and mortar can be infiltrated by the 'great imitator.'

Your body is the true temple in which God wants to reside and is the only real 'safe place' where an answer can be 'trusted.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Jesus showed us the temple isn't a physical tabernacle of brick and mortar. Jesus also taught that temples of brick and mortar can be infiltrated by the 'great imitator.'

Your body is the true temple in which God wants to reside and is the only real 'safe place' where an answer can be 'trusted.'
Man, you're weird.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote