cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Remarkable New Yorker article re Iraq and Obama

George Packer (who is no conservative shill) writes in the New Yorker (that traditional organ of liberalism) that the tide in Iraq may have turned and Al Qaeda appears possibly on the ropes and America may now be winning the war (due largely to Bush's and his supreme commander's policies) and now Obama must confront the problem that the campaign promise that won him the nomination may in fact constitute snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. And his dissembling would make (Bill) Clinton proud:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/commen...o_talk_packer/

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

And then there is this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Is this article supposed to be inconsistent with Packer's? Because it's not. Have the Iraqis said, "Great idea Obama, be totally gone from here in 16 months come what may. Start ratcheting down monthly starting January 09."

—Paul Auster
Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Honestly, Obama's mendacity on Iraq is enough reason for him to lose the election. Let's see if there's such thing as Karma.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
SeattleUte

I never realized the depth of noah's resentment toward me till he let this soft I gave him pitch fly by.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is this article supposed to be inconsistent with Packer's? Because it's not. Have the Iraqis said, "Great idea Obama, be totally gone from here in 16 months come what may. Start ratcheting down monthly starting January 09."
It shows that Obama's plan may be entirely consistent with what the Iraqis believe to be in their best interest as well (which dulls your argument about "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory"). The Prime Minister's statement is a remarkable one, particularly given the timing. He clearly indicates that the time is drawing near when the Iraqi government will no longer want the US to have the presence in Iraq that it currently maintains.

Obama has said (and recently reiterated) that he isn't wed to a 16 month commitment for withdrawal either (which you apparently also missed).

Obama wants us to leave expeditiously and, if possible, within 16 months. Maliki's comments seem to indicate a clear desire for the US to leave promptly as well. At the moment, Obama's statements appear far more compatible than McCain's with Maliki's statements.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Honestly, Obama's mendacity on Iraq is enough reason for him to lose the election. Let's see if there's such thing as Karma.
The war isn't popular in the US. Americans don't want us in Iraq. Iraqis apparently are eager for us to leave as well. How do you see that being a negative for Obama in the election?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The war isn't popular in the US. Americans don't want us in Iraq. Iraqis apparently are eager for us to leave as well. How do you see that being a negative for Obama in the election?
You're skewing the polls, as usual. It's true the majority in current polls indicate that the war is unpopular, and that think it was a mistake. The picture on withdrawal is far less clear ... people are not so eager to leave if they think it represents an American loss.

The best characterization of public opinion of the war is that Americans are conflicted.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
You mean like Americans didn't want us to get involved in the Battle of Britain?

—Paul Auster
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I never realized the depth of noah's resentment toward me till he let this soft I gave him pitch fly by.
I saw it and passed, but thank you. I don't see the point of this:

Anyone: Look how Obama has flipped on the war.
Cali: No, he's saying basically what he has said all along. He's showing real leadership by being flexible.
Anyone: But wait, he ran to the far left during the primary promising a 16 month withdrawal timetable.
Cali: No, he's saying basically what he has said all along. He's showing real leadership by being flexible.
Anyone: It's basically the Bush policy, without telling the insurgents/terrorists when we will leave.
Anybody: Okay, I get it, Obama is sinless.
Anybody: I can't wait for football season to begin.
Anybody: I'm going home now.

Then Tex cuts in and he and Cali dance the night away.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 07-07-2008 at 10:24 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote