cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
How ironic that you and SU end up following the same line of reasoning: in for a penny, in for a pound. Any level of belief is equally irrational.

Bottom line is that there are some beliefs that I find extreme and overly irrational. I am sure there are beliefs that you would classify the same way, you just aren't honest enough to admit it.
When it comes to religion in politics, I'm willing to give people a wide berth. To use a little dramatic hyperbole, I don't really care if a guy believes in the tooth fairy and the man in the moon, so long as he governs responsibly and shares my political values.

You've made no cogent argument as to how this "extreme" view might affect Huckabee's performance in office. It doesn't amount to a whole lot more than the religious bigotry levelled at Romney's intelligence for believing the "extreme" Mormon teachings.

Frankly, I expected something more rational from you than just, "Creationists are stupid."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
When it comes to religion in politics, I'm willing to give people a wide berth. To use a little dramatic hyperbole, I don't really care if a guy believes in the tooth fairy and the man in the moon, so long as he governs responsibly and shares my political values.

You've made no cogent argument as to how this "extreme" view might affect Huckabee's performance in office. It doesn't amount to a whole lot more than the religious bigotry levelled at Romney's intelligence for believing the "extreme" Mormon teachings.

Frankly, I expected something more rational from you than just, "Creationists are stupid."
LOL. You have a real gift for spin, buddy. You are the one who would vote for someone who believes in the "tooth fairy and the man in the moon" and yet you speak condescendingly of my lack of a "cogent argument". It's a real simple argument: I expect a certain minimum level of intelligence for the most powerful position in the world. If the logic of that statement is not self-evident, then I don't know what more can be said.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
It's a real simple argument: I expect a certain minimum level of intelligence for the most powerful position in the world.
I have some bad news for you......

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have some bad news for you......
Precisely.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #35
Tex

Quote:
It's a real simple argument: I expect a certain minimum level of intelligence for the most powerful position in the world. If the logic of that statement is not self-evident, then I don't know what more can be said.
And there's a really simple response. By your standard, nothing but an athiest would qualify. Certainly not Mitt Romney.

To get back to the point, though, I don't see how this makes Huckabee a "disaster" to anyone but nit-pickers like you. If you're making your intelligence assessments based off the "6000-year" argument, you can count yourself in the extreme minority.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
And there's a really simple response. By your standard, nothing but an athiest would qualify. Certainly not Mitt Romney.
No, no, no. Don't paint me with your absurd logic.

Quote:
To get back to the point, though, I don't see how this makes Huckabee a "disaster" to anyone but nit-pickers like you. If you're making your intelligence assessments based off the "6000-year" argument, you can count yourself in the extreme minority.
Did I ever say that this is the only thing I don't like about Huckabee? Stop putting words in my mouth.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Precisely.
If it makes you feel any better, that mosaic is made entirely out of rectums.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If it makes you feel any better, that mosaic is made entirely out of rectums.
Man, who had the tooth white ones? That was some sick person.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:
No, no, no. Don't paint me with your absurd logic.
You've provided no differentiation between the Joseph Smith story (or other assorted miracles in the Bible), and the idea of a 6,000-year-old earth, except to say one is "undeniable, overwhelming, and definitive" and the other is "extreme". Well, all we need to do is switch your membership to a different faith, and one can re-arrange those adjectives at will. IOW, it's a vacant argument.

You have also provided no connection between such a belief and how it might influence ANY public policy decision.

Don't whine to me about painting you with the brush you handed me.

Quote:
Did I ever say that this is the only thing I don't like about Huckabee? Stop putting words in my mouth.
Umm:

Quote:
Huckabee looks like a disaster. Heaven forbid he gets elected.
Quote:
Just curious, why do you think so?
Quote:
My problem, Tex, is that it speaks to his lack of judgment.

Let me ask you this: Suppose a presidential candidate said that he/she believes that the world is flat? Would that bother you?
If you've got something else, I'm happy to listen.

For the record, Huckabee is not my pick, and I don't think he'll get the nomination. But neither do I think he is a "disaster."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Man, who had the tooth white ones? That was some sick person.
Not sure. Is there a national rectal database where we could try to identify these people?

You can go to artofresistance.org to see the mosaic more clearly. Perhaps you will be able to recognize a few of them.

PS there is also a mosaic of Rush Limbaugh made entirely out of painkillers.