cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "...a bad night for the GOP"

'So, a good night for for the lowest denominator, a bad night for the GOP. America got to see a vaguely threatening parade of gun fetishists, flat worlders, Mars Explorers, Confederate flag lovers and zombie-eyed-Bible-wavers as well as various one issue activists hammering their pet causes.... The media will probably award a win to Mike Huckabee, the easy listening music candidate at home in any crowd, fluent in simpleton speak and the one man on the stage tonight who led the audience to roaring cheers by boasting that he had a special qualification to be president that none of the second-raters on the stage could match: A degree in Bible Studies from Ouachita Baptist University of Arkadelphia, Arkansas."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...ing_debate.asp
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

So, CNN, which already hates Republicans, chose only the idiots who posted questions via youtube to make the GOP look silly?

There's a surprise.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
'So, a good night for for the lowest denominator, a bad night for the GOP. America got to see a vaguely threatening parade of gun fetishists, flat worlders, Mars Explorers, Confederate flag lovers and zombie-eyed-Bible-wavers as well as various one issue activists hammering their pet causes.... The media will probably award a win to Mike Huckabee, the easy listening music candidate at home in any crowd, fluent in simpleton speak and the one man on the stage tonight who led the audience to roaring cheers by boasting that he had a special qualification to be president that none of the second-raters on the stage could match: A degree in Bible Studies from Ouachita Baptist University of Arkadelphia, Arkansas."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...ing_debate.asp
I actually thought this was far and away the most entertaining of all of the debates so far, Democrat or Republican. I thought the questions were by and large pertinent and meaty, and the responses were mostly direct.

I still can't believe nobody challenged Huckabee when he suggested the IRS should be abolished. Great idea, Huck. Then what?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I actually thought this was far and away the most entertaining of all of the debates so far, Democrat or Republican. I thought the questions were by and large pertinent and meaty, and the responses were mostly direct.

I still can't believe nobody challenged Huckabee when he suggested the IRS should be abolished. Great idea, Huck. Then what?
Huckabee looks like a disaster. Heaven forbid he gets elected.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just curious, why do you think so?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I agree. To me, he looks like a polished speaker with little substance. Perhaps he has to take crazy positions (like abolishing the IRS) to get attention, but that kind of rhetoric will get you crushed in the general election (and I don't expect him to make it there anyways).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree. To me, he looks like a polished speaker with little substance. Perhaps he has to take crazy positions (like abolishing the IRS) to get attention, but that kind of rhetoric will get you crushed in the general election (and I don't expect him to make it there anyways).
Anyone that wants to abolish the IRS will go immediately to the top of my list of who to vote for.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Anyone that wants to abolish the IRS will go immediately to the top of my list of who to vote for.
I'd prefer the candidate who promises free skittles and m&m's to every citizen, which is about a hundred times more likely than abolishing the IRS.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just curious, why do you think so?
He's one of those morons who believes the earth is 6,000 years old...Oops, sorry. Never mind. Didn't mean to offend you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He's one of those morons who believes the earth is 6,000 years old...Oops, sorry. Never mind. Didn't mean to offend you.
Yep he was one of the 3 guys who denied evolution at an earlier debate. I think that a Biblical literalist is the very last thing we need right now as a country.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote