cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anybody give me a primer on 24

and Lost so that I don't have to research them?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
and Lost so that I don't have to research them?
Seeing as that LOST is in it's 3rd Season and 24 is in it's in 6th Season it's kinda hard to give a simple primer, but I'll try.

24: CTU Agent (Counter Terrorist Unit) Jack Bauer is the main character. The concept is the entire season takes place in the span of a 24 hour day. Each episode representing the next hour. At the beginning of each episode it says..."The following takes place between 8AM and 9AM" and then the next hour, so on, and so on. Each Day = One season and a million things happen in that time. Each Day/Season Jack is required to help squelch a big crisis.

In season one He had to prevent an assassination attempt on a Presidential candidate. Season Two prevent a Nuclear Bomb going off...Season Three prevent a Deadly Virus from spreading.....and so on and so on. Lots of different characters and lots of interweaving stories.

The main complaint critics of 24 have is the believablity factor that so much could happen in a short period of time, and that Jack Bauer comes back to life and defies the odds every time. It's a fun ride and if one is willing to put aside the obvious inconsistencies it's great fun. Basically it's Bond on Crack, but only more hardcore. The shows pulls no punches and has no problem killing off a main character without warning at the drop of a hat. The show has had some fantastic twists.

LOST - Basically a bunch of people on an airplane crash on a remote island. The back stories of those deserted are told in each episode, usually focusing on one character per episode.

In the meantime How they ended up on the island, why they ended up on the island is a key part of it and exactly where they are....a lot of people like to guess if they're actually in the afterlife or if the Island is a big experiment and they're unwittingly part of it. There are a lot of different mysteries and it turns out that a lot of the characters have interlocking stories and somewhere in the past in one or another have crossed paths.

Critics of LOST, and I'm admittedly one of them, are that the show plods along at a snails pace, teasing that they're going to reveal answers only to leave you hanging time and again and that it's going the way of the X-Files in that regard. However, when it is on it's game it's a fantastic character study and mystery all in one and fun to watch. LOST has also had some fantastic twists.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-11-2007 at 03:55 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote