cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I hold intellectuals, gays and feminists in much lower regard than they do for themselves. Is that the same as fear.

At least when it comes to intellectuals I really don't think I fear them because I consider them "dumb asses".
For what it's worth, your insights and knowledge are sometimes so profound and so impressive that I consider you to be an intellectual.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
For what it's worth, your insights and knowledge are sometimes so profound and so impressive that I consider you to be an intellectual.
Given 71's redefinition of intellectuals, I tend to agree, that hereafter, 71 shall be known as the Chief Intellectual of the Board.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

This was one of the first issues (the first?) that really shook a fair number of self identifying intellectuals out of the church.

Sonia Johnson figured prominently. Here is part of her wiki blurb:

Quote:
Sonia Johnson was born in Malad, Idaho as a fifth-generation Mormon. She attended Utah State University and married Rick Johnson following graduation. Following her marriage she earned a Master's degree and a Doctor of Education from Rutgers College. She was employed as a part-time teacher of English in universities both in the United States and abroad for the following decades. The couple changed their residence often, due to the transfer of her husband to new places of employment. They returned to the United States in 1976.
Sonia began speaking out in support of the ERA in 1977 and co-founded, with three other women, an organization called Mormons for ERA. National exposure occurred with her 1978 testimony in front of the United States Senate's Constitutional Rights Subcommittee, and she continued speaking and promoting the ERA and denouncing the LDS Church's opposition to the amendment.
The church began disciplinary proceedings against her after she delivered a scathing speech entitled "Patriarchal Panic: Sexual Politics in the Mormon Church" at a meeting of the American Psychological Association (APA) in New York City in September, 1979. Sonia denounced allegedly immoral and illegal nationwide lobbying efforts by the LDS Church to prevent passage of the ERA.[1]
Because the speech drew national media attention, Sonia’s local Virginia church immediately began excommunication proceedings. A December, 1979 ex-communication letter confirmed that Sonia Johnson was charged with a variety of misdeeds including hindering the worldwide missionary program, damaging internal Mormon social programs and teaching false doctrine.[2]
One of my relatives was a witness for her at her court and essentially followed her out the door of the church thereafter. The Bishop at the time still lives in that same ward. It is the ward DrumNFeather lives in now.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Given 71's redefinition of intellectuals, I tend to agree, that hereafter, 71 shall be known as the Chief Intellectual of the Board.
Does that mean you smart guys on this board have accepted me as a peer. I am speechless.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote