cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do English Lit Profs shun Science Fiction?

Do they believe it contains lesser authors, lesser subject matter or what's the reason?

We have Die Verwandlung by Kaftka, which isn't very realistic, so why do they often detest SciFi?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do they believe it contains lesser authors, lesser subject matter or what's the reason?

We have Die Verwandlung by Kaftka, which isn't very realistic, so why do they often detest SciFi?
I think perhaps because there is such a huge volume, and so much of it is bad, and so little good. And in general (sadly) the tripe sells better than the quality works.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Future generations will not shun Philip K. Dick or The Road. I'm sure A Canticle for Liebowitz, 2001, Ray Bradbury, and A Clockwork Orange are studied in some respected departments now. The problem is that most Sci Fi blows.

It used to be you could say this about horror, but English Depts. in the 20th Century discovered Poe and now he is revered. Shelley's novel about that green monster with the flat head made of dead body parts is also admired and anthologized. It is regarded as a bellweather of the Romantic movement.

No generalizations please.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm sure A Canticle for Liebowitz,
That is one of my favorite books of all time.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I need to read The Road.

I hate Sci-Fi. It's the one genre that I just can't get into. Fantasy too for that matter. But they both go hand in hand.

The problem with Sci-Fi for me is that you have to develop so much for this fantastic world you build that often times character development and plot is lost. This isn't always the case but most of the drivel out there falls victim to this. This also creates another problem as in these fantastic settings and worlds am dealing with rules and laws that no longer pertain to the world I am familiar with.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I need to read The Road.

I hate Sci-Fi. It's the one genre that I just can't get into. Fantasy too for that matter. But they both go hand in hand.

The problem with Sci-Fi for me is that you have to develop so much for this fantastic world you build that often times character development and plot is lost. This isn't always the case but most of the drivel out there falls victim to this. This also creates another problem as in these fantastic settings and worlds am dealing with rules and laws that no longer pertain to the world I am familiar with.
The best scifi, only uses the fantastic aspect, to allow the author to pontificate or to show other thoughts without picking upon a contemporary. It breaks down boundaries without the reader being aware of it all the time.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
The best scifi, only uses the fantastic aspect, to allow the author to pontificate or to show other thoughts without picking upon a contemporary. It breaks down boundaries without the reader being aware of it all the time.
Agreed. But I think that some of the best are picking upon contemporaries. But like you said, with out the reader being aware.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote