cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anybody read Lords of the North

by Bernard Cornwell?

I listened to the cds driving from Reno to Vegas. A fantastic story.

It's about eighth century Britain and Danes. I recommend it highly. Apparently, it's the third in a series.

It starts off with a warrior having left a King Alfred of Wessex, heading to his home in North Cumberland, traces his fortune and misfortune in meeting Danes, battles, enslavement and various losses and victory. It is really a fun diversion.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-26-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
by Bernard Cornwell?

I listened to the cds driving from Reno to Vegas. A fantastic story.

It's about eighth century Britain and Danes. I recommend it highly. Apparently, it's the third in a series.

It starts off with a warrior having left a King Alfred of Wessex, heading to his home in North Cumberland, traces his fortune and misfortune in meeting Danes, battles, enslavement and various losses and victory. It is really a fun diversion.
I've read two of his King Arthur series, The Warlord Chronicles. My wife read this one and many others of his. She's a much bigger fan than I am of Cornwall. I think he's okay.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've read two of his King Arthur series, The Warlord Chronicles. My wife read this one and many others of his. She's a much bigger fan than I am of Cornwall. I think he's okay.
Perhaps I was just in the mood, as it was fun to see ancient insults, women fighting and men ripping each other's hearts out.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Perhaps I was just in the mood, as it was fun to see ancient insults, women fighting and men ripping each other's hearts out.
Well, it's pulp fiction. He does it very well. It's just a matter of taste, really. In the two novels I read the main character was kind of a saint, he never really evinced a dark side or weakness. The Arthur figure was more interesting. I like dark, complex characters. I respect what he did depictig Arthur as a dark age warlord and stripping out the Christian gloss. But I do believe the historical Arthur was a Christian not a pagan, as he depicted.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Well, it's pulp fiction. He does it very well. It's just a matter of taste, really. In the two novels I read the main character was kind of a saint, he never really evinced a dark side or weakness. The Arthur figure was more interesting. I like dark, complex characters. I respect what he did depictig Arthur as a dark age warlord and stripping out the Christian gloss. But I do believe the historical Arthur was a Christian not a pagan, as he depicted.
Utrid, definitely had a darkside.

When the woman he wishes to marry is considered married by proxy, he asks the priest if she's married, and the saint insists that she is, he kills the priest in front of priests and lords alike until he finds a priest who confesses she is not married.

None of the characters are flat, but instead engaging. It's a believable tale of how the characters may have interacted from time to time during the eighth century.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Utrid, definitely had a darkside.

When the woman he wishes to marry is considered married by proxy, he asks the priest if she's married, and the saint insists that she is, he kills the priest in front of priests and lords alike until he finds a priest who confesses she is not married.

None of the characters are flat, but instead engaging. It's a believable tale of how the characters may have interacted from time to time during the eighth century.
My wife has said the same thing about this book. You've convinced me to read it. She says his characterizations are stronger in later works.

—Paul Auster