cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who can figure out President Packer?

He gives some doozies.

The talk he gave years ago about the need to glorify awful poetry, the need not to tell negative stories and the recent silly song. What is his angle?

Elder Bednar's story glorifying the HC is also weird. I understand his point but still felt uneasy about it.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He gives some doozies.

The talk he gave years ago about the need to glorify awful poetry, the need not to tell negative stories and the recent silly song. What is his angle?

Elder Bednar's story glorifying the HC is also weird. I understand his point but still felt uneasy about it.
Well, the Lord's tolerating him enough to leave him in. I'll just learn what I can from the guy.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Well, the Lord's tolerating him enough to leave him in. I'll just learn what I can from the guy.
Well his destiny is better than mine, but I just don't get his angle, that is all. He shows disdain for learning, he once heralded a really dumb poem, and he seems to be very hardlined. Balance within in the Quorum is necessary, and we need the hellfire and damnation types to go along with the charity and compassion types. Even the Quorum needs strict administrators. I can also describe a few personal instances but will leave that alone for now.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
My guess is you guys are being tolerated a hell of a lot more than a special witness to Christ is, then again grasping the simplest of concepts is something that has always seemed to befuddle the "intellectuals" and "learned". You guys certainly have a hell of a lot more to learn from him than the other way around. Galling as that is to Archaea.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-19-2007 at 06:52 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
My guess is you guys are being tolerated a hell of a lot more than a special witness to Christ is, then again grasping the simplest of concepts is something that has always seemed to befuddle the "intellectuals" and "learned". You guys certainly have a hell of a lot more to learn from him than the other way around. Galling as that is to Archaea.
Thanks, Rocky, we can always count on you to squelch any honest discussion. Thanks for stating the obvious.

You're right, everybody is perfect and we should just kill ourselves. Thanks for Jim Jones fundamentalism.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He gives some doozies.

I'm sure this is is probably a Mormon myth, but I heard that he once told a group of priesthoold leaders at BYU or some place something like "we belive in grace more than we let on, but we can't tell the members that or they wouldn't keep the commandments". Something like that.

I feel that from Elder Packer. At times you see his soft side but he won't show it much. He's like the coach who rode you like hell all season like an a-hole and then at the end he hugs you and tells you he loves you and says he did it for your own good.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I feel that from Elder Packer. At times you see his soft side but he won't show it much. He's like the coach who rode you like hell all season like an a-hole and then at the end he hugs you and tells you he loves you and says he did it for your own good.
Does anybody else feel a little un-easy that Santos pretty much just called the Pres of the Q12 an "a-hole"?

TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Does anybody else feel a little un-easy that Santos pretty much just called the Pres of the Q12 an "a-hole"?

LOL. I meant it in the most dearest sense.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He gives some doozies.

You know after lamblasting aaron, who is very much the colloquial equivalent of an anal orifice, the reality was aaron was right. Elder Packer is one of the Lord's annointed, but I doubt I would have been singing the root-te-te-toot song. It is gay.

Elder Packer represents the conservative side of the Church. I often think that God works his own form of representative democracy. Some of you questioning intellectuals get your Talmage's or Pres. David O. McKay's, while the rank and file get their Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith and Elder Boyd K. Packers. I really have no issues with Elder Packer's opinion on Church history. I can understand where he comes from and understand his logic. I just happen to personally disagree. Ours is trully a large tent.....

I don't know how many of you have read Leonard Arrington's "Adventures of a Church Historian," but it really gives some insight into how decisions are often made by the Brethren. Namely that in a great number of issues there is often disagreement, but usually the side that "wins" is the one where its proponents are the most emotionally "fully invested" into bringing their opinions to "higher level of execution." Often out of professional courtesy those opposed will wilt in the name of unity.

I am in interested in if some of you think Elder Packer would have issues with how Tim Tebow's girlfriend dresses.......
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I was being just a touch sargonic, if you couldn't tell. I don't doubt that President Packer is higher up on the invite list than I am.