cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #31
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I haven't even taken a stand against Prop. 8, but after saying nice (and accurate) things about my BIL, Morris Thurston, I was informed by one mullah that I would have to choose between the Church and my BIL.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....
CB has plenty of zealots who "look beyond the mark." They think they know what Church leaders *really* mean and feel they have license to impose their views on others.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've said this before. The LDS Church is on the wrong side of history because that's what it is, at a cellular level. It sprang up and grew in popularity at the juncture between the late Enlightenment and onset of the modern age. If it's not on the wrong side of history it's nothing. It's laughable that anyone should suggest, for example, that the LDS Church is not a creationist sect. Its romance with the Masons is totally understandable; the Masons represented the start of a move away from the starkness of the Enlightenment; you see this confluence in the pictures by Napoleon's artists in Egypt. Precise, but starting to get abstract at the edges and as time passes. The LDS Church even tried to give new life to an Old Testament outlook of prophets, visions and miracles. the LDS Church grew as part of the Romantic age. Leo Tolstoy admired Joseph Smith because they shared the same nostalgia for belief, for miracles. This is what Harold Bloom is saying in noah's signature, if you decipher the Bloomspeak. It's why so many intellectual or disaffected Mormons are so drawn to postmodernism, the contemporary iteration of Romanticism.

If the LDS Church stops being on the wrong side of history, on that day it will cease to exist. That's what it is, why its followers love it. They don't want to be on the right side of history.

Last time I said this my friend LA Ute told me I'm making a fool of myself here. So if I'm doing that somebody plase confirm and I'll try to stop.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-28-2008 at 07:50 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
CB has plenty of zealots who "look beyond the mark." They think they know what Church leaders *really* mean and feel they have license to impose their views on others.
and this never happens with the "intellectuals."
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Hey, when are you going to post that LSAT score that you hinted about? That's pretty cool that you are really an intellectual masquerading as a dumbass. (quite convincingly, I might add)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #35
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't try to impose my views on anyone. CB just happens to have some true pieces of work when it comes to the pharasaic approach to Mormonism.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hey, when are you going to post that LSAT score that you hinted about? That's pretty cool that you are really an intellectual masquerading as a dumbass. (quite convincingly, I might add)
You deserve a lot more credit than I do cause personally I think it's a greater feat to be a dumbass masquerading as an intellectual.

I bow to your greatness.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You deserve a lot more credit than I do cause personally I think it's a greater feat to be a dumbass masquerading as an intellectual.

I bow to your greatness.
Well done.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't try to impose my views on anyone. CB just happens to have some true pieces of work when it comes to the pharasaic approach to Mormonism.
I don't disagree.

I think both sides of the extreme, as evidenced on CB and CG have many of their own works of art.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Two comments. First, the church has not donated. Instead, the 19M is from members. My guess is the 12 don't donate because they do not want to try to draw the distinction between themselves and the church in the press. Note, I said that is a guess.
I'm guessing you're right. Kind of amusing, though, to see who's willing to point the finger at their leadership and yell "hypocrite!"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #40
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've said this before. The LDS Church is on the wrong side of history because that's what it is, at a cellular level. It sprang up and grew in popularity at the juncture between the late Enlightenment and onset of the modern age. If it's not on the wrong side of history it's nothing. It's laughable that anyone should suggest, for example, that the LDS Church is not a creationist sect. Its romance with the Masons is totally understandable; the Masons represented the start of a move away from the starkness of the Enlightenment; you see this confluence in the pictures by Napoleon's artists in Egypt. Precise, but starting to get abstract at the edges and as time passes. The LDS Church even tried to give new life to an Old Testament outlook of prophets, visions and miracles. the LDS Church grew as part of the Romantic age. Leo Tolstoy admired Joseph Smith because they shared the same nostalgia for belief, for miracles. This is what Harold Bloom is saying in noah's signature, if you decipher the Bloomspeak. It's why so many intellectual or disaffected Mormons are so drawn to postmodernism, the contemporary iteration of Romanticism.

If the LDS Church stops being on the wrong side of history, on that day it will cease to exist. That's what it is, why its followers love it. They don't want to be on the right side of history.

Last time I said this my friend LA Ute told me I'm making a fool of myself here. So if I'm doing that somebody plase confirm and I'll try to stop.
I don't think you make a fool of yourself, in fact I might be alone but I find myself being persuaded by your insight. Well maybe not.

I still think you are an asshole, however. You are drawn to postmoderinism, Non-Sequitar is drawn to scantilly clad women with oscillating man made hooters. I think disaffected mormons are quite a diverse group, reflective of the overall religion IMO.

For the record I much rather hang out with Non"bown-bicha-bown-bown"Sequitar.