cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
BYUHoopster

BYUHoopster
Default Excommunication

My question is how long does the process take? Assuming he met with the Stake President today will he be excommunicated by the end of the week or will it take longer. Further, because of his status in the church will they be announcing this over the pulpit?

Last edited by BYUHoopster; 09-01-2008 at 07:17 AM.
BYUHoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUHoopster View Post
Without going into details I have recently been made aware that a current Bishop and former member of my Stake Presidency has had ongoing affairs over many years. I assume there is no question that he will be exed.

My question is how long does the process take? Assuming he met with the Stake President today will he be excommunicated by the end of the week or will it take longer. Further, because of his status in the church will they be announcing this over the pulpit?
I would think that regardless of how long it took, that it would be something that the Stake would try to push through quietly.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder why a person in his shoes would accept such a calling. Or did the stake president's inspired, prayerful decision to call him come before the affairs commenced?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I've never seen something like this announced over the pulpit, but you never know.

It will probably take a little longer than a week, but not too long.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Without going into details...
What fun is that?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I've never seen something like this announced over the pulpit, but you never know.

It will probably take a little longer than a week, but not too long.
There was a prominent SP in Salt Lake, part of his prominence was because he was the SP for many of the GA's. One of my friends was in his Stake and he said he was the toughest SP he had ever had when it came to chastity. He constantly harped on it and was very tough on the subject in Temple Recommend interviews.

He had an affair and was allowed to apologize at a Stake Conference. My friend said he felt like he was watching a Jimmy Swaggert rerun. I like it better when these guys repent and go through the process quietly and on their own.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Without going into details I have recently been made aware that a current Bishop and former member of my Stake Presidency has had ongoing affairs over many years. I assume there is no question that he will be exed.

It depends, but typically from a couple of weeks to around a month or so. Letters of notification, everyone arranging schedules, a little paperwork.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

They guy in Arizona, who taped his church court, apparently his excommunication was announced over the pulpit in all the wards of his stake.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They guy in Arizona, who taped his church court, apparently his excommunication was announced over the pulpit in all the wards of his stake.
It was already all over the internet, thanks to the guy that taped his own excommunication.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There's ALWAYS a question whether he will be exed. His public position makes it a little more likely but when none of us know the details, we can't know how things will go down. I've been surprised (pleasantly) by several cases of people I've known who were not ex'ed. It seems that the Church is moving away from automatic excomunication.

Also, in both of the recent cases I've known, the process has taken several (3-4) months. It's true that if schedules align, they could do it quickly, but in both of these cases, the stake president wanted to take time to get to know the person, the circumstances, the efforts at repentance, etc. I think that's wise.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote