cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #31
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Does the fact that Wyomingites get married when they are older make SWWYOPOKE's pussy hurt?
You're going to have to recount the whole SWWYO saga to me sometime. I know there's a backstory there, I just don't know what it is. (Other than he/she being slightly unbalanced due to, I assume, too much exposure to the SLC media.)
Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #32
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Along those lines, go to any average singles ward in the Church and ask everyone to raise their hand if they are really happy being in their early 30s and unmarried.
I agree, although this is a little bit circular as to landpoke's question. Of course those in the culture will not be happy to find themselves outside the cultural construct. That unhappiness, in fairness, is some evidence of whether the construct is good or bad but I would assume, without knowing, that our culture has a higher incidence of those who are unhappy to be in their 30s (or even later 20s) and unmarried. I think the large culture tends towards marriage, but our culture is up an order of magnitude in intensity on this issue.

To me the optimal age is 25-30, but what do I know.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I admire people who marry and divorce young, before kids. That shows a tremendous amount of self awareness, especially if they have a religious background. That's one thing I've always admired about Mudphud.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #34
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The reason they do it is they don't want people to have sex before they're married. It's that simple. They know the practical impossiblity of saying, "Women and men, finish your education and start a career before having kids; have a good time, date, see the world, there's no hurry, the more mature you are and the more you get out of your system the better decision you're likely to make," and saying, "If you fornicate you're going to hell."
So much for not getting started on this thread.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #35
SeattleUte

By the way, "I wish I hadn't married so young," is such a common regret it qualifies as a cliche. Still, it's probably a regret many don't divulge. So don't expect to get honest answers to your post, Poke.

By the way, I was 26 when I married the first time, and, yes, I was too young.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
You're going to have to recount the whole SWWYO saga to me sometime. I know there's a backstory there, I just don't know what it is. (Other than he/she being slightly unbalanced due to, I assume, too much exposure to the SLC media.)
I have yet to read a post by him anywhere in time where he doesn't whine like the women of Srbrnica concerning BYU's RMs. I think he had a run in with some Tongan Sister Missionary named Nuiflotasamahemapuna. Apparantly he thought it would be real funny to put a broomstick handle in the spoke of a mormon missionary as he peddled around town whistling an uplifting tune, so after stumbling out of his favorite Diamondville watering hole he spotted his favorite milk-drinking target. He sought to thrust his weapon of choice into the target but alas, he was thrown by the force to the ground and his broomstick handle fell aimlessly to the ground. The fine 260 lb daughter of God and future mother of many 25 year old RM BYU OL, picked up the broomstick handle and with it made sweet love to SWYWYOPOKE. Now getting your ass banged by a mormon chick might be embarassing enough, but he is forced to wear a diaper to contain the lifelong drip he developed as that representative of my faith rode SWWYOPOKE like Lavell rode y'all for so many years. If I was a big and bad Poke from the Cowboy state and was raped by a Sister Missionary with my own broomstick handle, I might hold some long term angst myself.

That is the story as I understand it.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #37
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
So much for not getting started on this thread.
Well, I'm likely done with it because it's not an interesting or debatable subject. I think Poke even meant it as a rhetorical question.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #38
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
By the way, "I wish I hadn't married so young," is such a common regret it qualifies as a cliche. Still, it's probably a regret many don't divulge. So don't expect to get honest answers to your post, Poke.

By the way, I was 26 when I married the first time, and, yes, I was too young.
Maturity doesn't come to some people until their 30s or later. Sometimes not ever.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #39
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Do you all ever feel shortchanged by your culture's insistence on early marriage and child bearing? Do you ever feel as if you'd been robbed of some elemental and possibly necessary experiences because of the age at which so many of you married and had kids?
"Shortchanged" and "robbed" are a bit too value-laden for me, but unquestionably, marrying at 22 and 20, with five years of undergrad, law and business school ahead of us, resulted in our missing certain experiences that would undoubtedly have been very nice. But 34 years later, it's hard to imagine having a better wife, better kids (six of 'em), or a more closely knit family. And we've traveled a lot and live reasonably well.

We discussed your questions occasionally at my former law firm (and with a large firm in San Francisco, my lifestyle was/is a bit outside the norm), and while few envied my early years of ascetism-by-default, most allowed that those years tended to make my later years far more satisfying than theirs. Life is filled with tradeoffs, and most of those we've made have turned out very well. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but the life we chose has worked very well for us.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #40
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Maturity doesn't come to some people until their 30s or later. Sometimes not ever.
Especially males. This site is exhibit A.

—Paul Auster