cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prop 8 stuff heating up

In priesthood opening exercises today, they asked for a show of hands from the priesthood (they also did it in the Relief Society) from all those who would commit to spend a Saturday morning going door-to-door in support of Prop 8. The ward clerk took a count.

I didn't raise my hand.

After the meeting, my father-in-law (who is in our ward - in fact, he was sitting next to me in priesthood opening exercises) said that one particular high priest in the ward, who my in-laws really dislike intensely - both he and his wife, in fact - commented that he was disturbed that not all the hands went up, and he questioned the testimony of anyone who didn't raise their hand.

My testimony's just fine, by the way.

The next 3-4 months are going to be a little interesting.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
In priesthood opening exercises today, they asked for a show of hands from the priesthood (they also did it in the Relief Society) from all those who would commit to spend a Saturday morning going door-to-door in support of Prop 8. The ward clerk took a count.

I didn't raise my hand.

After the meeting, my father-in-law (who is in our ward - in fact, he was sitting next to me in priesthood opening exercises) said that one particular high priest in the ward, who my in-laws really dislike intensely - both he and his wife, in fact - commented that he was disturbed that not all the hands went up, and he questioned the testimony of anyone who didn't raise their hand.

Questioning testimonies? Wow, What an idiot. I don't think I would do that anyway, but I really wouldn't just to piss off that guy.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I didn't raise my hand.
SoCalCoug, what percentage raised their hand?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I didn't raise my hand.

Hang in there, SoCal. Some of the zealots are just primed to go on a rampage.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Love it. I'm loving this.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
SoCalCoug, what percentage raised their hand?
The mullah in question mentioned that about 75% raised their hands. I wasn't really looking around, but it looked like a large majority.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I didn't raise my hand.

I am really uncomfortable with the public nature of all of this. I was bothered by the FP letter a while back asking for us to write to our congressman regarding our thoughts on a gay marriage amendment, but at least it was private. Now, people are asking me publicly (in HP Group meetings, Gospel Doctrine, etc.) if I am on board. I think many already know the answer, but given my calling it is very challenging to answer in a capacity separate from my church position. If things keep going like this, I may need to consider asking for a release (which I really don't want to do).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am really uncomfortable with the public nature of all of this. I was bothered by the FP letter a while back asking for us to write to our congressman regarding our thoughts on a gay marriage amendment, but at least it was private. Now, people are asking me publicly (in HP Group meetings, Gospel Doctrine, etc.) if I am on board. I think many already know the answer, but given my calling it is very challenging to answer in a capacity separate from my church position. If things keep going like this, I may need to consider asking for a release (which I really don't want to do).
You can't say all this and not mention what calling it is you have.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Love it. I'm loving this.
Why? I honestly don't get it. The church brings a lot of people a lot of happiness. It doesn't bring you happiness anymore, and I get that. What I don't understand is why you would rejoice that other people are having a difficult time with an institution that forms a core part of their identity and belief system. Of what value is it to you to wish for them to be more unhappy with the church? I certainly don't sit at home feeling thrilled when another scandal breaks in the Catholic church, or when I read an article about the struggle of the Jews in Israel.

To me, it reeks of desperation. Desperation for you to feel vindicated that you made the right decision in leaving the church. You won't find vindication in the areas where you are looking, SU.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The Church appears to be making a PR and tactical mistake. Whether Prop 8 passes, I have no idea.

And culturally to shame some into obliging may not be wise, but my guess is it will blow over within a few months after passage or rejection. We seem to make mountains out of molehills here.

Of course, I'm sitting in a neighboring state with no investment either way.